Chapter Two

"Isabella? It's Mum." The voice is blurry, echoed, sounding as if it's coming from a tunnel. "I just got to the hospital. Your father is on his way. I hope you wake up soon, darling. Your siblings are worried about you."

A booming voice. "Where is she? This had better be important."

"Your daughter is in the hospital, David. She isn't waking up. How can you be like that when she... nobody knows if she..." The first voice is cut off by sobs.

A different voice. Soothing, calm and composed. "There now, Ma'am. The doctor is coming."

Sound fades.

"Okay everyone, you should be all warmed up now," Miss Eliza said, gliding into the studio. Behind her was a smirking girl, looking us up and down, one by one. I stood up.

"Now, I want you to meet Rosanne. She's going to be joining Troupe One!" I exchanged a glance with Jess.

"But we already have our troupe," a boy called Josh said.

"There's no harm in adding one more. Especially a Female National," Miss Eliza told us. Behind me, I heard Seb take in a sharp breath. Out of all the females competing at Nationals, this girl was the best. There were always so many teams at Nationals, and out of all of those teams, and all of her teammates, she was the best girl there.

People started muttering, some supporting Rosanne joining, some against.

"Hey! Hey!" I said. The room quietened down. "Look, I know we have our amazing Troupe One. But it could be even better with Rosanne on it. Let's just see her dance before we make any judgements". Some people sighed, but everyone retreated to the walls to give Rosanne space. Rosanne smiled at me, a dazzling stage smile. I smiled and nodded back at her, then went to stand beside Seb.

"I don't like the look of her," he whispered to me. "She looks like a bitch."

"You can be a bitch," I smiled.

"True," he laughed.

Miss Eliza pressed play on the speakers, and Rosanne started dancing. To say she was good would be the biggest understatement of the year. She was magical. Technically beautiful, with a spark that lit up the stage.

"She dances like you," Seb murmured.

"Better than me."

He shook his head.

Rosanne kept on leaping, turning, bending. The song finished as she spun into a final pose, taking the stage. There was scattered clapping, some people in shock, some unsure of what to do. Rosanne smirked again, then turned to Miss Eliza.

"Well?" she said.

"Well... I think we can all agree you were... phenomenal! Welcome to Summersnow!"

"Want to get a juice?" I asked my friends at the lockers after rehearsal.

"The place across the street?" Emily asked.

"Where else would we go?" I replied, and we all laughed.

I looked at Seb, who was still frowning. "What's up?" I said, pulling on my lilac joggers.

"I don't like her."

"Why? She didn't even speak to you."

"I can just tell what type of person she is. She's going to cause trouble."