Chapter Fourteen

"Bella? Your mother told us you might be waking up. Maybe. You really should, you know. You've missed a few weeks of school, and the Summersnow really misses you. Luke has become honorary Dance Captain, but it's not the same. Rosanne has been..."

"Uh, we'll tell you about it when you wake up, Bella."

A pause.

"Thank you for coming girls. You're her best friends, she really appreciates you."

"That's okay, Jen. She knows she can always rely on us for support."

"Jess-"

"No, Emily, it's okay. I know I need to be a better mother. And I am. Since Bella fell... well, I'm a lot better. I still have much work to do, and I hope Bella can help me when she wakes up. Then we can really be a proper family."

A proper family. I haven't felt like I've had that in so long. I want it.

A ringing sound. Loud, but not as loud as it used to be. Is that a good sign?

"Sorry girls, I have to take this. Hi, David... Yes, she's still here... Don't say that... I don't have time for this, David. Come in to see her if you want to know how she is. Be there for your daughter, she needs her father... Fine... Okay, suit yourself. She'll still be here. Goodbye." A pause, and a sigh. "I'm going to go home, will you two stay for a little bit?"

"Of course, Jen. See you later."

Our heads turned as we heard a soft knock on the dressing room door. "Come in," I said.

The door opened to reveal a smiling Miss Eliza. "Hello, everyone. Ten minutes before we need to be backstage! Isabella, do you mind saying a few words?"

I took a deep breath and squeezed Luke's hand. Then I stood up by the mirrors, facing everyone. Even Rosanne had put her phone down and was looking at me expectantly.

"Okay, well, here we are. We made it, everyone! I know it's been a bit of a journey, but I'm so proud of all of you. Thank you for being the best troupe I have been in. Whatever happens out there, I know we will be there with each other for every count. It's been a big year, but now I'm so excited to go out on that stage and smash it!"

"Group hug!" Emily yelled, immediately being shushed by Jess and Noah.

I laughed and opened my arms wide. "Come on, then.

Troupe One enveloped me in a circle of hairspray and excitement. I was so ready for this.

"Break a leg out there!" Luke grinned at me in the darkness of the wings. Ashleybrooke Dance School, Rosanne's previous studio, had just begun their dance, which meant we were on next.

"You too," I laughed. I had noticed I was laughing a lot more now that I was spending more time with Luke. He just made me happy.

"Hey, Lucas?" Rosanne tapped Luke on the shoulder.

He sighed as he turned around. "Yeah?"

"I want to talk to Isabella for a moment. Please?"

"Oh. Uh, yeah okay." Luke squeezed my hand as he walked away. "I'll see you out there."

I nodded.

"Uh, I just wanted to say... Thanks for sticking up for me when I first came here, but I'm fine now."

"I... pardon me?"

"I am part of the team. You don't need to worry about me fitting in. I am the best dancer here, and that's all that matters. Also, you're welcome."

I frowned. "I'm welcome?"

"That I came here. I'm the one that's going to win this."

"Rosanne, it's a group dance."

She rolled her eyes. "Yeah, okay." Then she turned on her heel and went to join the others on stage right.

Luke came up to me. "You okay?"

"Yes. That was just... weird. I'll tell you about it later. Look, Ashleybrooke is just coming off now."

Luke took a deep breath and took my head. "Okay. Let's do this."

I looked over to the wings on stage right and noticed that as Ashleybrooke passed Rosanne, they all nodded at her like they were confirming something. She nodded back, and I wondered what it was. But I could think about that later. The curtain was coming up, and Luke and I took our positions to enter the stage.

I exchanged one final look with him, and danced away as the music began to play.