Chapter Nine

"Hey, it's me again. I miss you, Bella. Please wake up soon. Dance is weird – Jess and Emily are distraught, Rosanne keeps trying to befriend me, but... I saw what she did, Bella. We all did. And we don't know what to do. We need you." Fingers lace between mine. Soft lips on my cheek. Then a whisper.

"Please come back to me. I love you."

Something warm drips from my eye, down my face. I want to tell him I love him too. But I can't. I can't seem to come back, no matter how much I try.

"Congratulations, Bella and Lucas! Your duet will be the one featured in our dance!" Lucas gave me a squeeze when we heard Miss Eliza's words, and I laughed. But then I was distracted by Rosanne marching up to Miss Eliza.

"Look, I know I just got here, but I am clearly the most talented dancer here. You all know this," she said, gesturing to the rest of us. "I want more recognition. I deserve recognition. I want to be in the front row, where everyone can see me. I know the dance, I'm not a baby. Give me more!"

"Rosanne, please, be professional. I know you are a talented dancer, but so is everyone else here. You have just arrived, you need to give everyone a chance to get used to you. Have patience, and your time will come." Miss Eliza retorted.

I frowned. How would I feel if I was Rosanne? She won Female National, she knew she deserved some credit. Still, she was new at the studio. But I wanted to give her a better chance at excelling here – just like I did for everyone else.

Miss Eliza was back in her office, leaving me in charge. I told everyone to warm up, then went and knocked on Miss Eliza's door.

"Yes, dear?"

"Hi, Miss Eliza. I know Rosanne's outburst was extremely unprofessional and uncalled for, but I do understand where she is coming from."

"What are you trying to say, Bella?"

"I think we should give her some more credit. You know I want what's best for the dance and for us as a team. I think we should move her up to the front row of the dance. Not centre, but front left – then she would be at the front, but not so much that the other dancers get too mad." I let out my breath. I never know how Miss Eliza will react.

"Alright. I believe you know your team best. Please let them know."

"Thank you, I will."

I returned to Sunflower Studio, and heard loud giggling coming from the far corner. Luke was stretching, and Rosanne was leaning on the bar close beside him.

I walked up to them and saw relief flash in Luke's eyes when he spotted me. It's not my business to ask what happened between them, so I won't. But my mind won't let go of the image of her touching his shoulder, twirling her hair.

No. I'm not jealous. I'm not.

"Hey!" Luke said, breaking from his stretch.

"Hey, can I speak to Rosanne for a moment?"

"Uh, sure." Luke walked over to Josh and Benny, who's place was about to be stolen by Rosanne. I turned to her.

"Hey, so you know your outburst at Miss Eliza wasn't okay, right?"

"I don't need a lecture from you, Isabella."

I sighed. "I came over here to let you know that even though it wasn't okay, I get your point. I think you're a great dancer, and I understand how you feel you should get more recognition. So, I have convinced Miss Eliza that you should go in the front row."

"Oh... okay, thanks."

"You're welcome. You will be taking Benny's place."

"Wait, the break-dancer? But his place is on the far left."

"Yes, in the front row."

Rosanne rolled her eyes and turned away. I sighed and turned on my heel to tell Benny. I knew he would understand, he was an easy-going guy. But I still felt bad.

"What do you think you are doing?" Seb demanded as soon as rehearsal was over.

I groaned. "Seb, please don't start."

"She just got here! She doesn't deserve to be in the front row right away!"

"How many times do we change positions in this dance, Seb? A lot. She won't be in the front for the whole dance. Nobody is. Also, Rosanne's a good dancer. She deserves it. Now please excuse me, I need to get home." I grabbed my bag and rushed out of the studio. I'd had a stressful day, and just needed to get out of there.

I heard footsteps, and then an arm around my shoulders.

"Come on, I'll walk you to the bus stop." Luke said.