Feelings

2 Months later

After a long day at the garage and the Toretto Market & Café, the friends meet in Dom and Mia's house for a BBQ.

"Any plans for tonight?"
Vince asks and reaches for the salt shaker.
"No...We shouldn't be racing tonight. Heard there was a bank robbery in Oakwood this morning. It's still teeming with cops."
Leon warns and takes a sip from his Corona.
Jesse suggests to play video games and the boys agree.

Later - after the dishes have been cleared and washed, Letty and Mia go up to her room.
"Letty, can I ask you something? Something personal."
"Sure...what's the matter?"
"Have you ever?"
"Ever what?
The mechanic asks confused.
"Well, you know... Have you slept with a guy before?"
Even though Letty and Mia are best friends, they've barely talked about boys before.
The only thing Letty knows about Mia's experience with boys is that she was kissed a few months ago by Kyle, a guy from Mia's parallel class.
Mia, on the other hand, knows even less about Letty's experiences with the male sex.
All she knows is that the racer has always had a crush on Dom.

"No...I mean why are you asking?"
"Don't know. We never talk about such things. I thought you could give me some tips...If you-"
"Who is it."
"Kyle, you know him, don't you?"
"Yeah, that guy from school. Are you guys together?"
"No...I don't know. We kissed like three times. And he asked me if I'd like to meet him today."
Mia explains nervously.
"And what did you say?"
"I said yes...But I know the boys won't let me go out alone. So I asked him if you could come with me."
"What?! What's wrong with you?"
"Please Letty. We'll meet in a bar. And he'll take someone with him too, so you don't feel weird."
Letty takes a deep breath, then finally agrees.
"Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you! You're the best!"
Mia rejoices and hugs the latina tightly.

When Mia and Letty arrive at the bar, the boys are already sitting at a table.
"Hey."
"Hi."
"I know you from somewhere. Letty, right?"
Asks Kyle's friend.
"Yeah."
"I'm Adrian. Oh, now I know, we're going to the same school."
"Right. We once went to detention together."
Letty remembers.
Adrian laughs and takes a sip from his drink.
"Yeah."

When the girls get up after two and a half hours to say goodbye, the guys accompany them outside

While Mia and her date kiss goodbye, Adrian turns to Letty.
"Thanks for coming. I'd have felt pretty weird with them alone."
"Me too."
Both laugh.

"Kyle is so cute, isn't he?"
Mia raves in the passenger seat.
"Don't know. Maybe."
"And Adrian?"
"What about him?"
"You like him?"
"He was nice."
"Nice?"
"Yeah."
"I think he likes you. He's been staring at you and smiling the whole time."
"Where else should he look? You and Kyle were very busy with each other."
Letty laughs behind the wheel.
"Can you imagine it...with him?"
She continues.
"Maybe."

The next day runs like almost every saturday: After the friends have finished work, they all head home to prepare for the nightly street race taking place in Vernon today.

"It's kind of fuller than usual."
Leon notices when the six get out of their cars at the venue.
"What's up, amigos?"
They hear Juan calling. He's a good friend from the racing scene.
"Did we miss something or why is it so crowded today?"
Dom asks after the short hand shake with Juan.
"You sure did. There was a big ass shootout between the Bloods and Crips in Compton about two hours ago. And the cops are all gone. The streets are as good as empty here and of course the word got around everywhere. This is now something like the street racing championship."
"Championship? I like that."
Dom grins and gets ready for the first drag race.
He beats his rival, the driver of a silver '91 Pontiac Firebird with ease.
When the Toretto gets out of his car, a group of half-naked girls runs towards him. He wraps his arms around them, kisses them and whispers words in their ears. While Dom takes his win in amusement, Leon gets ready for the next race.
He competes against a brown '82 Toyota Celica. The race was a bit more exciting, but Leon was also able to win with his Nissan Skyline.

"My turn."
Letty announces.
When her opponent stops at the starting line, she takes a look at the car. It's a yellow 96 Mustang SVT Cobra.
"Shit Letty, don't do it! That guy has over 300 hp under the hood."
Leon warns, standing with Vince at her window.
"He's right, Let. Get out."
"What's wrong with you? I'm not backing down. Did you look around?"
Letty knows that retreating is much more damaging to a racer's reputation than losing.
"Hey, whats going on, chica? Need jump start or what?"
The Mustang driver calls out of his car with a grin.
"Shut your fucking mouth, over there."
Vince roars angrily.
Now Dom joins them as well and leans a little towards her window.
"You're not ready yet, this will not go well, Letty."
"Can you guys stop already. You know I'm good!"
The crowd is now getting loud and demanding that they finally start racing.
"Hey chica, you better hand over your pink slip after your sweet little ass got beaten. I'm not gonna wait so long for just a few bucks."
"Dream on."
She replies confidently.

"Come on, Let!"
"Fuck!..."
Vince and Leon comment on the event.
She crosses the finish line - as second.
She gets out of her Torino Cobra, with the car key and pink slip in hand. She walks up to the cheering Mustang driver and hands him the things with a disapointed face.
When Letty marches back to her team, her friends are already walking towards her.
"Don't say anything. I know what you're thinking."
"Everyone loses sometimes.
Leon explains.
"You were close, Let."
"Yes."
Jesse and Mia join forces.
"Aren't you mad?"
Letty asks surprised.
"Why? You did your best and almost kicked that sucker's ass."
Vince explains and now Dom joins them as well.
"Defeat makes you stronger. I know that sounds dumb, but it's the truth."
"Hey, Marlon's throwing a party." Juan interrupts the conversation.

The friends head to the party a few blocks away. Letty - who is now carless and not in the mood for partying, drives with Leon in his Nissan.
The friends have just entered the house and it doesn't take long for the first girl to approach Dom.

"Where are you going?"
Mia asks her friend when she opens the front door with a beer in her hand.
"Getting some air."
She closes the door behind her and sits down on the top step of the terrace. She looks thoughtfully at the stars.
"I thought the party was inside?"
She hears a familiar voice talking. The mechanic looks around and recognizes Adrian and two friends approaching her. While his buddies enter the house, he stands smiling in front of her.
"Adrian...Hi."
"What are you doing out here alone.
"I wanted to forget something."
"Something or someone?"
Letty looks at him in surprise and takes a sip from her beer bottle.
"Something."
"What happened?"
He asks and sits next to her.
"I lost my car."
"Where?"
"At a race. An hour ago."
"Shit. I'm sorry."
"It's okay."
"Really?"
"Well, you can't always win."
Adrian remains silent and continues to look at Letty.
"And what are you doing here? Shouldn't you be studying for your exams?"
Letty smiles.
"Nah, I don't need that."
"Why not?"
"I'm going to the army. I signed up two months ago. Gonna leave in four weeks."

"Let? Why don't you come in?"
When she turns around, she sees Leon with a blonde in her arms.
They walk towards Letty and Adrian, which give them some space.
"You going back with Jesse?"
Leon asks when he opens the door of his car.
"Yup."
"I could give you a ride. If you want."
Adrian suggests.
Letty hesitates briefly and agrees. Both leave the terrace and get into his black Honda Prelude.
When they arrive at her house, he gets out and accompanies her to the front door.
"Thanks."
"No problem."
He smiles.
Just as Letty is about to turn around, she feels his lips on hers. Immediately she evades the situation, overwhelmed by it.
"I'm sorry. I..."
"I better go in."