Thank you

Stevie was sitting by herself, no TV, no music, it was deathly quiet. She was so nervous about Lindsey's visit. She also was thinking of how to get it out of him what happened with Kristen, when he returned home. There was still about half an hour before Lindsey was supposed to show up and Stevie was still deciding if she should put on a little make up. He had seen her fresh faced millions of times, but not in a while. But why would he care how she looked? He was coming to meet his son. She was going to be the last thing on his mind. 

The decision was made for her, when she heard a knock on the door. A tiny part of her told her to sit quietly and make him believe she wasn't home. After taking a few deep breaths, she went to let him in. 

They shared smiles and Lindsey walked into the apartment and she closed the door behind him. Neither one of them knew what to say. Hello would have been a great starter, but they both were at a loss of words. Lindsey was glad, he wasn't being distracted with mindless chatter, he could admire her instead. He loved her like this the most; dressed down and naturally beautiful. 

"Hi."

"Hi." Stevie repeated, laughing at how long it took them to get that out. "I'm sorry, I'm just..."

"I know, me too."

"How did you know what I was going to say?"

"We didn't meet yesterday, Stevie."

"Right, yeah."

"Am I supposed to be this nervous?"

"I am as well. My heart is about to jump out of my chest."

"Can we sit down for a minute?"

"Sure, of course! Aaron's napping anyway. Can I get you anything?"

"No, thanks. On the other hand..." He stopped and turned around, almost bumping into her. If they really wanted, they only had a few inches separating their lips... "A glass of water?"

"Okay. You go, take a seat. I'll be right there."

Stevie spent a couple of minutes in the kitchen, long after she had filled the glass with water. What was wrong with her? Their chests barely touched and her heart was beating like crazy. She kept reminding herself of why Lindsey was here and it was certainly not to fall in love with her again.

She jumped as she felt his hand on her shoulder, spilling the water, thankfully not on the floor. "You scared the life out of me, Lindsey!"

"I'm sorry, I... You said you would join me shortly and you've been here for five minutes or so, I thought something happened."

"No, I'm alright." She half smiled, offering him the glass.

"Thanks." All of a sudden, she burst out laughing and it was so contagious, Lindsey couldn't help but join in. "What's so funny?"

"The fact I'm acting as if I hadn't been in a relationship with you a thousand times? That we haven't been this close, you haven't touched me, kissed me, freaking talked to me. I feel like I'm sixteen years old, with the most popular boy in school, on whom I've had a crush on since I laid my eyes on him."

"Are you saying, you have crush on me?"

"Really? Out of everything, this is the part that stands out for you?"

"If I'm honest, I have no idea what you're talking about in the slightest, Stevie, so I picked out the thing that makes the most sense."

"Oh, you're so sure of yourself, mister!" 

"Well, are you trying to tell me it isn't true?"

"Where do you get this confidence from?" She wasn't sure when, but he had trapped her in between his body and the kitchen counter and her breathing picked up pace again.