Chapter 13

"he's not going to press charges, Noah was able to settle it somehow." Rachel explained.

"Damn. That husband of yours must be one good lawyer." Carl said picking out the leftovers from the refrigerator.

Rachel scrunched up her nose. "Don't eat that. They've been in there for a week now."

"That doesn't necessarily mean..." He opened up the bag and smelt it. "Oh yeah that's gone bad. What even was that?"

"I don't even remember." Rachel shrugged. 

Carl rolled her eyes and went back to raiding her fridge. "There's nothing to eat in here. Are you people fasting or something?"

Carl had come to her unannounced tonight claiming he was starving and also wanted to know how the meeting went. Since then, he had been in her frigde hunting and putting out everything he didn't like on the counter, refusing to put it back.

"What is this?" Carl asked, taking out a brown bag from the fridge.

"I don't know." Rachel replied.

"It looks old." Carl replied and set it on the counter before going back to hunting the fridge again.

"Would you stop doing that? I'm the one who has to clean this up when you leave!" She whined to which he didn't respond. "What are you even doing here? You're supposed to be on the flight to Manhattan."

"The gig cancelled." Carl took out an old, spoiled apple and closed finally the fridge.

"I didn't get any call." Rachel frowned. Surely if the gig was cancelled they would've called her.

Carl sighed. "Fine, I cancelled it."

"Why?"

"Because I was worried about the meeting."

Rachel looked at him skeptically. "I highly doubt that."

"Lets order take out."

"Oh my god!" Rachel's eyes widened. "You're changing the topic. You have a secret!"

"What? No!" He pretended to laugh it off but Rachel knew him too well. "take-out?"

"Oh it must be good. What is it?" She asked, getting excited.

"It's nothing."

"Tell me!"

"No."

She stepped closer and took the apple from his hand and threw it in the garbage can. "Tell me!"

"I'm ordering take out." Carl took out his phone but Rachel snatched it away.

"Tell me!"

"You're so annoying, Rach, let it go."

"C'mon just tell me."

"I can't."

"Why not?"

"Because."

"Tell me!"

"No."

"Tell me."

"Fine, my god, you're annoying." He spoke and sighed.

"Yay." She smiled.

Carl bit his lip, wondering how to break it to her. "It's not good."

Rachel felt the sudden shift in his mood. It was sad and sympathetic now. "Just tell me." She spoke.

"Wren and Adam..." Carl trailed off, struggling to find the right words.

"Yeah?"

"They're engaged."