Chapter 18

There wasn't anything good about the Rostoros family that could be said. They were cruel, evil beings that walked this city like they owned it. Which in many ways, they did.

They lived in the shadows. Nobody could for sure say that they know a Rostoro because they were that good at covering their tracks. Some even believed that the word Rostoro was an old fable told to keep everyone scared.

So when, Rachel's father first told her that her future husband was part of the Rostoro family, she didn't believe him. She too had foolishly believed that the Rostoros was just a name that the police and FBI threw around to avoid doing their job.

The gravity of the situation that she was in showed itself on her wedding day when 3 of the world's famous mobsters showed up with thousands of guards.

"You're part of the Rostoros now" was what they said when handing Noah and Rachel a gun as their wedding gift. To say Rachel was scared would be an understatement. 

There was nothing she could do now. Her husband was Noah Jefferson Rostoro and she was now his wife.

As Noah stopped the car in front of the building, Rachel's breathing became uneven.

It was the first time that Rachel was meeting the entire family. She had only met William, Donald and Xavier on her wedding and they were scary enough that she never wanted to meet another family member again.

She took several deep breaths trying to calm herself as she silently prayed for everything to be over as soon as possible.

Noah got out of the car and handed his keys to the valet. Rachel wasn't getting out of the car and he was annoyed.

Her hand reached for the door but didn't make it. She didn't want to leave this car. She didn't want to go inside.

Suddenly, the car door opened by itself and an annoyed Noah stared at her. "The valet has to park the car."

Rachel nodded, picking up her bag as she got out of the car. Her breathing became even more uneven, she couldn't feel her legs and her head was pounding.

'No, no, not now!' She screamed at herself as she felt a panic attack approaching.

She heard him sigh. "C'mon" Noah spoke, holding out his arm.

Rachel gladly took it. At least, she wouldn't fall.

With every step they took towards the door, Rachel could feel her breaths getting knocked out of her.

"Relax, they won't hurt you." Noah spoke noticing the stiffness.

Rachel tried to find comfort in his words as they walked inside.

There were several guards around the premises, Rachel noted. All wearing black, packing and scary. They're faces were stoic and serious like if you even look them the wrong way, they just might kill you. When they passed the hallway, a few of them even nodded to Noah to which Noah didn't respond. He didn't even give them a look.

Noah led Rachel to a door at the end of the hallway, where it read- in big bold letters- 'Private Party'. Two more guards stood beside the door and nodded to Noah as they approached. They opened the door for them.

The first thing Rachel noticed were the people in the room. They're weren't a lot of them. The room was gigantic. With large chandeliers hanging from the ceiling and the gold interior, it screamed high class. There were tables with center pieces the size of chandliers. Rachel couldn't wait to sit down and calm her raging heartbeat.

Just then, a waiter passed them holding a tray of wine. Rachel wanted to pick one up but a voice intercepted.

"Noah, is that you?" 

The most gorgeous woman that Rachel had ever laid eyes on walked towards them.

"Layla." Noah spoke with a warm smile. A smile Rachel hadn't seen before. "What're you doing here?"

"Oh you didn't hear." Layla adjusted her blonde curls, flashing a giant diamond ring on her finger. 

"Xavier is an asshole." Noah spoke. "But Congratulations, I suppose."

"You're one to talk." Layla spoke. "I heard you got married. Didn't even invite me. Where is this shy bride of yours?"

Rachel released her grip on Noah's arm and looked down at her shoes. She was literally clutching to Noah's arms yet this immensely beautiful woman didn't assume her to be his wife. She probably thought Rachel wasn't worthy. Rachel didn't disagree either. It was Noah Jefferson afterall. 

This is like high school all over again

"It's the woman on my arm." Noah gestured towards Rachel.

"Her? You're kidding!" Layla spoke with a chuckle. "She's way too gorgeous and way out of your league."

Rachel couldn't help but look up and smile at that.

"Hi, I'm Layla." She smiled and reached out a hand towards Rachel. "I'm Xavier's fiance."

Rachel shook her hand. "Rachel Henley." She spoke. 

"So why'd you marry this dumbass?" 

Noah rolled his eyes. "I'm gonna go talk to other people." He spoke and left.

Layla chuckled. "Its so fun to mess with him isn't it?"

Rachel nodded meekly. 

-----------------------------------------------------------

Layla was the nicest person Rachel had ever met. Not only was she funny she was also charming to the point her insanely attractive features weren't the most attractive thing about her. She spent most of the night with Rachel telling her who everyone is and who is married to who. 

"And that's Sierra Simmons." Layla pointed towards a woman in a long green dress deeply engaged in a conversation with a man. "She's married to Adrian Walker."

Rachel blinked, halting from taking a sip from her glass of wine. "Walker as in Walker airlines?"

"yeah" Layla spoke with a chuckle. "I was surprised by the reach of this family too but you haven't seen nothing yet. See that guy he's talking to? That's Xavier."

Rachel frowned. "Your fiance?"

"Yeah. That and the director for the Central Intelligence Agency."

Rachel's eyes widened. "How did you even meet him?"

Layla picked up a glass of wine from the waiter's tray and took a sip. "He's my boss."

"Then that means-"

"Yeah. But it's not all bad though. This family has done more good than the Vladamirs, that's for sure or I wouldn't have said yes."

"The Vladamirs?" Rachel asked confused.

"You don't-"

A clinking of glass interrupted their conversation. Rachel turned around to see Ronald Jefferson getting ready to make a speech.

"Oh it's Donald." Layla spoke. "You must know him. He's Noah's uncle"

 "Yeah." She remembered him from her wedding. He was scariest one there. But she didn't know that he was Noah's uncle.

"If you can all take your seats, I have a few words to say." Donald started

Layla left to sit beside Xavier and Rachel made her way towards where Noah was sitting.

"It truly is a pleasure to have you all here." Donald spoke. "Christa has outdone herself again at this party." He gestured towards the woman at the far end of the table and smiled. "But today, we are gathered to welcome a new addition to our family. quite possibly the most important addition, Rachel and Noah, stand up please."

Rachel took a deep breath trying to calm her nerves. Noah surprisingly held her hand and they both stood up.

"Noah and Rachel tied the knot a few months ago and Rachel is now pregnant with our new family heir."

________________________________________________________________________