Chapter 5

The whole limo ride was awful, both of them didn't talk to each other and spend all their time on the phone or looking out the window.

Thankfully the ride wasn't long and they arrived pretty quickly.

Rachel made an attempt to open her side of the door but a hand grabbing her arm stopped her.

"Wait." Her husband said and opened his side of the door and walked out.

Rachel was baffled. What, did he expect her to wait in the car forever? What was his game here.

Then suddenly the door to her side opened and she saw her husband with his hand stretched out.

At first, she was confused but then the sound of cameras and paparazzi hit her and then she understood. She laid her hand in his big rough ones and got out. She was immediately blinded by the flashes.

In an attempt to lean away from the blinding lights, she stepped back and bumped into Noah. Their eyes met. Hazel against brown. Rachel was the first one to look away but not before mumbling a quick sorry to him.

Noah reached for her hand and this time was determined to not let go. He didn't realize that his wife would be so disastrous in front of the paparazzi. He forced her hand to hold his arm.

Rachel first looked at her hand and then at him in confusion. He put a hand on her hand before smiling lovingly towards her and whispering "just smile."

So Rachel did just that, she smiled nervously their whole way in. She was sure when the pictures come out she would like a nervous wreck which, truthfully, she was. Even growing up with media always following her around, she still wasn't comfortable with cameras around. She hated them because in her experience cameras always mean something bad.

She shook her head in order to get rid of the memories that threatened to resurface.

Pain...

Blood..

Chains..

No! She shook her head once again to get rid of them.

At that point, Noah looked at her. What the hell was she doing? Was she insane? Thankfully she stopped and looked right back at him. Noah saw something there. There were unshed tears there, an unspoken pain, a dreadful memory.

"You finally arrived." Rachel broke their eye contact to see her mom standing right in front of them. Why didn't she see her coming?

"You look beautiful, Mrs Henley." Noah said and gave her his charming smile.

Rachel wanted to roll his eyes. Why is he such a kiss ass? What could he gain from my mom?

Claire smiled. "Oh thank you." She smiled again. "And i like it better when you call me Claire."

Rachel's eyes widened. Were they flirting? She resisted the urge to throw up. This is super weird, she thought.

Thankfully, her father appeared and she, without thinking, hugged him.

"Oof not so tight honey." He said as a joke.

For some reason, Rachel felt tears at the back of her eyes but she smiled at his joke. She stepped back and desparately tried to blink her tears away. Why was she crying anyway? Her mind questioned.

"Mr Henley." Noah greeted her father.

"Jefferson." He said and glanced his daughter briefly before looking back at noah again. "I think we should talk for a while."

He guided noah to a secluded area. It was quiet there and no paparazzi were around.

"I know you don't love my daughter, Noah." Her father started. "I know this marriage was ideal. But i beg you not to take it out on my daughter. She's been through some horrific stuff."