Chapter 9

Rachel's back was hurting ever since she woke up. It was like there was a metal rod in her back struggling to come out.

But she couldn't care less about that pain right now. Because the lawsuit papers were gone. The bank statements were gone. She couldn't find them anywhere.

She was sure she had left them on the table where she had fallen asleep reading them but they weren't there anymore. Panicking, she went up to her bedroom to check but there was nothing there.

A maid had come earlier today to clean the house. Had she thrown them away?  Rachel ran to the garbage can outside, frantically searching the trashbag but there was no sign of it.

Her eyes fell on the cars in the garage. Noah's car was parked there. Was he home? Why hadn't he left yet?

She wondered if he had seen her papers and put them somewhere. She didn't want to go and ask him but her pride mattered less than her life's work.

Begrudingly, She walked to his bedroom and knocked. But there was no response. "Noah?"  She knocked again and the door fell open.

"Noah?" She called out but there was no answer. The bathroom door was open too, that meant he wasn't in the bathroom either.

Does this mean he just left his car at home today?

Disappointed, Rachel stepped out of his room and walked downstairs to check the dinning room again. She had to find those papers or her agency will be in even more trouble and she couldn't risk that right now.

She heard a curse. The sound came from the study.

With hope, she walked to the study and knocked lightly. "Noah?"

Again there was no response.

She opened the door and saw Naoh standing behind the desk, talking on the phone. He gave her glance before turning his back on her and talking more curse words in his phone.

Rachel decided to leave him alone. He was clearly busy. She was just about to leave when her eyes fell on the papers on his table. Those were her papers.

She looked at Noah again in confusion, what was he doing with those?

Annoyed that he took them without her permission, she stepped forward and started gathering them.

"I'll call you back." Noah said into the phone and turned to his wife in confusion. "What're you doing?" He asked.

"These are mine." She replied with annoyance in her tone.

"I know they are."

"Then you shouldn't have taken them." She spoke picking up the pile of papers and turning to leave.

"You're being sued." Noah stated.

Rachel sighed and turned to him. "And that concerns you, how?" She didn't understand why she was being so mad at him and giving him attitude, she just knew she was mad.

Noah fisted his hands and looked away. He didn't understand why he waa annoyed with her attitude and turned on by her anger at the same time. "I can help."

Rachel opened her mouth to say something but nothing came out. She was at a loss of words. All that attitude and anger was gone in an instant when the reality of her situation sank in at his words. She sighed. "You don't have to do that, I'll figure it out on my own."

"I've read your bank statements. Your business is barely scrapping by and I'm sure this lawsuit isn't helping. I bet you don't even have a lawyer. Are you sure you don't want my help, Rachelle?" He said with a cocky smirk.