CHAPTER 16: The Deal [✔]

KATE’s P.O.V.

         It’s been a week and today, I have nothing to do so I decided to pay a visit to my ex-bestfriend’s workplace. Elijah told me where they working, so now I know where and when the perfect time to bother her.

        I just wanted to know if Darren and Claire are indeed married or not. In the back of my mind, I knew that something is wrong. How can they be married that fast? And even so, why did Mr. Herrera arranged our supposed to be marriage if Darren have a lover already? There’s so many unanswered questions that I wanted a conclusion. That’s why I’m doing this.

          I drove towards the nearest school, and right now I don’t care what Elijah will say about me anymore. I just wanted to know the truth. As soon as I arrived, I saw him walking in the open ground, holding some folders and stuffs. I ignored him, because I don’t know if I could still talk to him right after what he’d done to me at our high school reunion. He stared at me for a moment, before shaking his head and leave.

         I stood there, waiting for Claire to come outside. Even though I often cause some scandalous scene, I still have the right mind to respect this place specially that children could see us in here. So I decided to wait instead of bargaining inside of their school.

“Kate...” a voice called me after a few moments later.

         I was surprised by her sudden appearance, but I think Elijah had already told her about me so maybe she knew that I was waiting out here. I expected my waiting duration to be longer than a few minutes.

“Hey...” I looked at her, raising one of my brows.

“What are you doing here?” she asked.

“So you did became a teacher, old friend.” I chuckled, and her brows furrowed for apparently no reason.

“If you’re here to make another scene, please, just leave. I don’t want the children to see us fighting.”

“Whoah, whoah. Easy, Teacher Claire,” I stated sarcastically. “I’m not here to make a scene. I just wanted to visit you.”

       She placed her hands in front of her chest before saying another word.

“Tell me what you want.”

“Frankly, I want you gone in my life,” I answered.

“You’re not welcome here, Kate.”

“Ouch. Is that how you treat an old friend? Too bad, Claire.” I pretended to be hurt by her words.

“Just get straight to the point, Kate. I know you loathed me that much that you can’t even stand my presence. So why on Earth would you visit me here, at my work?”

“Okay... I want to know if you really are Darren’s wife. Is that an enough reason for you?”

“You’re unbelievable,” she uttered, shaking her head.

        I took a step forward to observe her eyes if she’s lying or not.

“You and Darren are the ones who are unbelievable. You said that you two had been in a relationship for almost five fucking years. How come that the media didn’t know about that, Claire?”

         She stopped for a moment, maybe thinking a proper answer to my question.

“You know what, Kate, I don’t have to explain anything to you if I don’t want to. Darren and I are married, and that’s the end of it.”

“Then prove it to me,” I challenged her.

“How do you want us to prove it?”

“Let me take you home to Darren. Let’s see if he wouldn’t be surprise when he saw his so called wife entering to their residence.”

         She looked nervous, so I took that opportunity to attack her again using my words.

“Are you doubting your acting skills, Claire?” I asked smirking.

“No, I’m not. Because what Darren and I have are nothing but all true.” I rolled my eyes on her.

“Let us not waste our time then.”

         She just nodded before following me inside of my car. We drove to Herrera residence, and I feel like I’m now just one step closer towards the truth.

“Does it feel like a queen living in a place like this, Claire?” I asked her as soon as we arrived.

        She didn’t answer me, so I thought of some words to tell her again.

“We are here. Do you want me to open the door for you, Mrs. Herrera? Please note the sarcasm.”

“No, thanks,” she sarcastically fired back too. Again, I rolled my eyes before hopping down from my car. She did the same before walking straight to the towering gate.

“Why are the gates are locked? Didn’t they knew that Mrs. Herrera is coming home right now? Why does your husband didn’t fetch you at your work anyway?”

          She finally faced me, looking furious. Before she could say anything, I smirked.

“Do you have to notice everything, Kate? You know that I’m not a very dependent person. I rather do anything that I can all by myself than ask help from someone. Unlike you, I rather save my resources for the last minute.” She walked faster than before and I just followed her.

“Mrs. Herrera! You’re here! Good afternoon. Do you want me to call Sir Darren for you?” one of their servants asked her.

           As they opened the gate for her, Claire smirked at me and I looked down, feeling annoyed and embarrassed at the same time.

“Did you finally realized that all of this is real?” she asked me.

“Not yet. I want to see the two of you having a date or something. After that, I’ll finally believe you and I’ll also leave you alone... Forever.”

        She blinked several times, trying to processed my offer for her and for her husband.

“Fine. One date, and you’ll leave us alone. We all just wanted a peaceful life, you know. So if ever that we proved you wrong, please... Stop pestering our lives.”

“Deal.”

          I offered my hands for a shake. She was about to reach for it when we both heard a familiar voice. Claire looked nervous, seeing Darren again for apparently no reason.

“Claire?”

       Darren looked stiffened too, but right after seeing me beside his wife, he composed himself and tried to act coolly. He walk towards us before snaking his arms around Claire’s waist, making her blushed. He kissed her forehead, and I almost puked in disgust.

“What are you doing here, Ms. Frias? Are you harassing my wife again?” Darren asked.

        I bitterly laughed, before looking directly at Claire.

“Claire and I have a deal. If you proved yourselves to me, I promise that I would no longer bother you anymore,” I proudly stated.

        Darren turned his gaze to his wife, as if asking if what I’d just said is true.

“Just one date... And she will leave us alone forever.”

“Fine.”

         Darren sighed before wrapping Claire in his arms tightly. Claire looked shocked for a moment but after she realized that I was currently watching them, she suddenly hugged him back. I knew it. Something is wrong.

          I think Darren just whispered something into Claire’s left ear, making her blushed but she still looking bothered by my presence, maybe.

“So... Where should we go, wife?” Darren asked, emphasizing the last word only for me to hear it loud and clear.

         I sent death raging glares towards their direction. I followed them through Darren’s car because they decided to use it instead of mine. While hopping in, I realized how close they are to each other. But even so, I still got some doubts in my mind. I want a clear answer, and I’ll only get that by doing this deal. But if ever I lose, I don’t know if I could keep my own words never to bother them again.