CHAPTER 34: One Last Kiss [✔]

KATE’s P.O.V.

         The next morning, I woke up early just to went to the hospital hoping that Elijah is still there. I wanted to see him for the last time, and bid my final goodbyes as well.

“Good morning, sweetie,” my Mom greeted me as soon as I came downstairs.

“Hey, Mom. Can I ask for your help later? I’ll start packing up my things for my flight the day after tomorrow.”

        She frowned, before coming towards my direction to give me a light hug.

“Of course I’ll help you... But... You know, you can always change your mind, Kate.”

“Mom... I chose this... Don’t worry, I know you’ll always visit me in Paris.”

“I will. If only I could be there too... But your Dad needs me here...”

“Mom, you don’t have to feel bad or anything. I’ll be fine there. I just needed some time and space to find myself. Stay here with Dad. I don’t want you to be always worried about me.”

“I know you’re tough, Kate. But I just wanted you to know that if ever something bad happens out there, you can always call us here. We got your back.”

        I smiled, before planting a kiss on her forehead.

“I need to go now, Mom. I’ll be back in a few hours.”

“Sure... Take your time... Don’t break it out to him all of the sudden. I heard from our maids that he got sick...”

        I nodded, before she finally let go of me. I knew it. Our maids will definitely tell them the truth. As I drove towards the hospital, I couldn’t help but to think of what will I’m going to say to Elijah later on. But maybe it’s better if I wouldn’t rehearse or something. As long as I could properly express myself, I guess that was already enough.

          When I arrived at the place, the doctor saw me as I walk through the hallways and he greeted me with his big smile.

“How is he?” I asked him straightforward.

“He’s fine. Actually, he’s doing really great. I think I might release him tomorrow morning.”

“That’s good to hear. Can I see him?”

“Of course you can. Come.”

         He took me to one of the private rooms, and as soon as I saw Elijah through the transparent glass at the top of the door, I signaled the doctor to leave us alone. He smiled, then nodded. He walked away and I finally got my chance to talk to Elijah again.

        I opened the door, causing him to look at my direction. He looks pale, but it wasn’t like yesterday anymore. He’s sitting on the bed while resting his back at the pillows behind him. His attention was now fully occupied by me.

“Hey...”

“K-Kate... I thoughts you wouldn’t visit me anymore...”

           I timidly smiled, before walking towards his direction. I sat beside him, before I reached for his face to caress his cheeks. He reached out for my hand, before giving it a kiss.

“I’m sorry if I haven’t told you about that letter, Kate... I’m really sorry...”

“No, Elijah. I’m sorry...”

         He stopped for a moment, looking at me confusedly.

“It’s not your Dad’s fault... It’s my parent’s. They told me everything. It was their fault. They admitted it themselves.”

          Tears started to escape from my eyes. He wiped it away using his thumbs before giving me a forehead kiss.

“I couldn’t blame your Dad for him wanting a revenge. It is clearly my parents–”

“Stop, Kate, will you? I don’t care who’s fault it was. All that matters to me right now is only you... We are fine now, right? I’m ready to forget about everything just to be with you... You are too, right?”

          I shook my head, before avoiding his eyes.

“No, Elij... I can’t fully love you if I couldn’t even love myself. I need to find some peace... I need time and space to think things through... And maybe, just maybe, after all of that, I will finally be able to say that I really love you...”

“What are you saying?”

“I’m leaving. I’ll go to Paris...”

“Then I’ll go with you! I’ll go anywhere you want... Just tell me, Kate.”

“No, Elijah. I need to do this for myself. And I also owe it to everyone that I ruined their lives... I should leave, and you know that...”

         He chuckled bitterly, before he let go of my hand. I could see the forming bead of tears from the corners of his eyes.

“So... You’re going leave me just like that? When will you come back? Am I going to see you again?”

“I’m not sure, Elij... If ever I came back, I hope things wouldn’t be too late for the both of us...”

“Then I’ll wait,” he firmly stated. “Even if you’re not that sure about me...”

“I’m sure about you Elij... I’m just... I’m not sure about myself...”

“Whatever your reasons are, I’ll still wait for you to come back. Even if there’s only a small percentage of chance, I’m still willing to take the risk. I’ll take my chances, I guess. You’re all worth it, Kate.”

“Thank you...” I wiped my tears away before I mouthed the words “I love you” to him.

“I love you too. Come here.”

          He hugged me, too tight that I wasn’t been able to breath anymore. It feels like he doesn’t want me to go. But after a few seconds, he sighed, letting me get away before looking at me straight in the eyes.

“I’ll wait, even if it will took me another lifetime just to be with you again... I love you, Kate. Please take care of yourself...”

“I love you too. I promise, I will... I will, Elijah...”

         He suddenly leaned in, kissing me as gentle as he can and I just let him do whatever he wants since this was probably our last and final kiss before I leave the country. I closed my eyes shut, only making my tears fall down. He pulled away, looking at me while crying before he wiped my tears away using his thumb. He then cupped my face before giving me a forehead kiss.

“I love you... So much.”

“I love you too...”

          That was our last words to each other before we finally and officially bid our farewells... Melancholic farewells that turn into tears. This decision might be the one to challenge us as well as fate if we really are meant for each other. I will wait for that day to come when I could finally be able to love him without any worries. And if that day never comes, then I’ll still be thankful that I met someone like him in my life.

         I can’t believe how time flies so fast. It feels like it was only yesterday when I first laid my eyes upon Elijah, who’s winking at me unashamed inside of our Mathematics class. I left him eight years ago, right after our graduation day and we met again. Now that I finally made up my decision, I’m hoping that it will lead me back to him when the right time comes for our love to bloom again.