CHAPTER 27: The Aftershocks [✔]

KATE’s P.O.V.

          A day passed. We are still at the hospital, Mom regaining her strength after being diagnosed of having a mental breakdown. She looks fine, but I bet she felt really bad and sorry for me.

“Here, Mom. Eat this one,” I stated, giving her another slice of apples while Dad is taking a sleep in the couch.

        I stiffened as Mom reached for my hand, looking at me with a worried expression plastered upon her face.

“Are you alright, Kate?” she asked.

“Yes, Mom. And I’m one hundred percent sure about that. Here you go. Eat this one to regain your energy.”

“But... I though you like that guy?” she asked curiously.

“Yep... Maybe. But I already love someone. And what I mean by that, I already found someone that could accept me for the real me...”

        She smiled, looking relieved after hearing my words. She then took a bite on the slice of food I prepared for her.

“I bet that’s the reason why you aren’t weeping right now. I’m so glad to know that you finally have that special someone, Kate. Though, when will I meet him?”

“After all of this chaos, Mom. I promise you that.”

“And I’ll wait for that day to come.”

         I chuckled, before gently giving her a hug. After I finished feeding her, we decided to take a rest for the doctor advice us to let my Mom take as much sleep as she wanted to. I decided to take a nap too just to let the time passed by.

         I don’t know how many hours passed and what time it is right now. I’m just sleeping peacefully until I was awakened by the continuous knock on the door of our hospital room. I sat up, scratching my eyes using my hands.

        Dad yawned, looking at me with a curious eyes. I guess he’d just been awakened by the same noise coming from outside.

“Who’s that?” he asked.

“I don’t know, Dad. I just wake up.”

“Please take the door for me.”

         I nodded, before standing up. I fixed my hair into a ponytail while walking towards the door. I slowly open it, only revealing the last man that Dad surely wanted to see today. It was his bestfriend, Mr. Herrera.

“Kate...” He shoot me an apologetic look. “I’m very sorry for my son’s doing.”

“That’s fine, Mr. Herrera. Would you like to come in?” I tried to be nice and invite him inside.

“Can I?”

“Uhm... Sure. Dad is inside.” I told him that to serve as a warning.

         He nodded before making his way inside.

“Who’s that?” Dad curiously asked.

         Mr. Herrera and I came over his direction, and as he saw the person next to me, his facial expression suddenly shift into a furious one.

“What are you doing here? After the humiliation your son had caused to our family...”

“Forgive me, Armando. But I’ll admit it in front of your face... I’m the one who should be blame for this, not my son. All he wanted to do is to manage our company. I’m the one who invented this arranged marriage and I didn’t know that it could ruin our friendship... I really am sorry. Please forgive me... Kate,” looked at me. “Forgive me.”