Chapter 5

May 11th, 2029

1345 hours

Hale Residence

Ben's POV

I looked at all the paper in there. I didn't know what it was from but it seemed weird. I grabbed a pair of gloves and started fishing it out of the toilet. I managed to find quite a few pieces, but I was sure there were others.

Most of the pieces were blank, with some having random marks on them and being torn in all different places and angles. 

One piece however, was quite useful. I could make out the word "still" on it. 

I threw out all the pieces as I knew what was on all of them, and then reset the toilet and was pleasantly surprised when it worked perfectly. Maybe I should have been a plumber.

I headed back downstairs to meet Emma and Erica outside. I hid from around the corner of the house and watched. Emma was kicking the ball while Erica was blocking the net.

I got my phone out and recorded Emma kicking the ball and Erica letting it in on purpose. They were both smiling and laughing. Luckily they hadn't spotted me yet.

"You are going to be a soccer superstar one day Emma," Erica said as she rolled the ball back over to her. 

Emma kept shooting and Erica kept fooling around with her. 

I wonder if when she's older, I could teach her how to use her math skills to aim a shot so it's perfect, or something along those lines. She could definitely be a good athlete. 

Maybe she'll be a spy though.

Erica looked over and saw me.

"What took you so long?"

"I was just eating something," I lied. 

"Oh well, come on, watch Emma," she replied.

I watched as they started passing the ball back and forth. Emma was able to pass the ball very smoothly even though she was just a baby. She didn't even fall over when she swung her foot. 

After a while, Erica went to go take a shower herself. I took Emma inside and fed her some salad (because she insisted) and then got her to sit on the floor in the living room with me and I taught her how to stretch. Even though it didn't matter as much now, it would be crucial for the future for when she does more exercise.

"Dad this feel nice," Emma said after stretching her arm out.

"I know it does," I replied. I fixed her form a little bit so she wouldn't hurt herself.

But I was focused on other things.

What was the paper that Erica flushed down the toilet? I mean, it could have been Emma, but I doubt it. Erica has been acting different as well. She brushed off the lunch date, was getting mad when I asked about her feelings. 

I don't know what's going on with her. Is she hiding something? No, Erica would never. Especially now that we are married. 

Emma was done her stretches so I let her roam around the house while I cooked up some dinner.  Today was going to be spaghetti and meatballs with caesar salad and garlic bread. When I was done, Emma was trying to climb up in the baby chair herself to eat the food.

"Woah woah woah Em," I said as I rushed over. She fell over right as I reached her and I caught her.

"Dad save me," she said laughing. I was not laughing. That could have been bad.

"Always ask for help Emma, you are just a baby," I replied.

"No, I'm 2 and a bit," she said.

"Same difference."

I set up the table and set the food down. Emma was still sitting in the baby chair but I picked her up out of it and brought her upstairs to find Erica, who had still not come down. 

I checked in Emma's room, the spare room, and then the bathroom, but I could not find her. I entered our bedroom and saw her lying on the bed with a towel wrapped around her.

"What's up?" I asked. "I made dinner."

"He save me too," Emma added.

"Did he now?" she said lazily.

I set Emma down on the floor where Bella the teddy bear was and sat on the bed beside her.

"Is something wrong?" I asked.

"No, no," she replied. "I just - I want to do it again."

"Do ... what?"

"I want another kid, Ben."

What the hell.

"Umm, I don't know Erica," I said.

She turned to face towards me.

"Why?"

"Well like we already have Emma, maybe we should wait until she is older."

She took off her towel and turned away, lying in bed. I picked it up and threw it in the dirty laundry bin.

"Do you want me to bring the food up here?" I asked. I was trying to make sure Emma looked the other way.

"Yes, please," she said.

What has gotten into her?

I brought Emma and her teddy bear downstairs and let them sit beside each other as they ate dinner. Apparently Bella thought I was a great chef. I'll take the compliment.

I cleaned up the dishes and brought Emma back upstairs to her room. I tucked her in and made sure Bella was right beside her. 

"Have a good night, Em, I love you," I said as I was about to turn off the lights. 

"Dad?" she said.

"Yes honey?"

"Can you tell a story?" she said.

"Of course."

I went and sat down on the bed as I moved the hair out of her face. So beautifully black like Erica's, but those brown strands looked amazing too.

"Once upon a time, a boy came home to see a man in a suit sipping gatorade  ... "

Erica's POV

I listened as Ben told the story. He had already brought my dinner up and it was delicious, but I wasn't that hungry. 

I was thinking. 

I loved Ben so much, but could I tell him what I knew. I didn't know if I should keep it to myself or not. He's a great guy, but something is telling me I should keep this to myself until I know more.

I heard him finish up his story and he walked back into the room. 

"Not hungry?" he asked. He grabbed the plate and whisked it onto the dresser.

He got behind me and I laid my head in his lap while he was sitting down. 

"What's wrong Erica?" he asked. I could tell he was being sincere.

"I don't know, just, just stuff and I'm so stressed and I really want another kid but at the same time I don't know and it's just. Just a lot of I don't knows."

"Hey, it's ok to be stressed. We're gonna get through this together. Look at what we have done already.

"We have a great daughter, jobs at the same place and great family to reach out to if we need. And I have you. The best I could ask for."

"Thanks, Ben. I really mean it."

"Of course." He kissed my head.

I got up and faced towards him.

"Still haven't put any clothes on?" he asked with a smirk.

"Not planning on it."

I saw him smile before he went to turn off the lights. I laid back down and I listened as he walked back over, and then felt him brush a hand over my face.

"You're the best," he whispered.

Don't worry I stopped it before it got bad haha