Prologue

December 25, 2028

Hale Residence

1800 hours

Erica's POV

Ben was flying Emma around like an airplane and she was clearly enjoying herself. I was very cheery. This was one of the first Christmas's that I would actually celebrate and not just been in Ice Queen mode. Although my family was not coming over (that was for tomorrow), I was more than happy to spend time just with Ben and Emma.

"Dadda stawppp," Emma said while laughing. Ben was now tickling her belly.

"Noooo," Ben said. I came over and took Emma from him.

"Mama saved me," Emma said.

"Yes I did little Hale," I said, smiling. I brought her over to the dinner table and put her in the baby chair while I prepared everything else for dinner. Ben came over and helped me.

There was mashed potatoes, chicken, salad and fruits and veggies, as well as water. We all sat down at the table and dug in.

To my large displeasure, Emma was not eating only salad.

"Come on Erica, she's just a baby," Ben said.

"Almowst 2," Emma said.

I rolled my eyes at Ben, who had stopped looking at me and was feeding mashed potatoes to Emma via the airplane spoon.

"In goes the airplane ... OM NOM NOM," Ben said.

We kept eating and I ate the delicious salad I had made for myself. I was truly a master at making salads. Ben was pigging out on the chicken but if that's what he wanted to do, I wasn't going to stop him.

After finishing dinner, Ben brought out some ice cream (I passed). He fed spoonfuls to Emma and ate himself as well as I washed off all the other dishes.

Ben took Emma to the living room and I followed. Since it was just us 3, we had decided to lay off presents till the night. Ben opened his first, from me, which was a new pair of running shoes (Adidas NMDs, black of course) as well as an AirTag and keychain ring for his belongings. Ben got me a new utility belt, which was nice since my last one had been cut in half when Ben was practising (more like fooling around) with a samurai sword. It had more pockets and even came loaded with some gear. Ben had gotten the items that weren't complimentary as well.

Then it was time for Emma's gift. Me and Ben helped her untie the string, and inside the box were LEGOs, a new doll, a onesie, and a stuffed bear, which was about the size of a 3 ring binder.

Emma seemed to like the LEGOs, doll, and didn't know what to think of the onesie. However, once she got to the teddy bear, her eyes lit up.

"What this?" She asked. I looked over to see Ben recording me and her.

"That is a teddy bear," I said, picking up the plush toy and letting her hold it.

"Teddy ... bear?"

"Yes Emma," I said laughing. It was a nice purple one (a lavender shade) with a bow and a smile on it. Ben had picked it out.

"It's a girl," I continued. "Her name is Bella."

"Bewwa ... Bewwa!" Emma said as she hugged her new best friend. I was smiling with happiness and I could see Ben was too. How cute Emma was.

Ben had stopped recording and was cleaning up the garbage. He brought it to the kitchen garbage can and I stayed behind and helped Emma open her LEGOs and let her play with the doll, who she was calling Doll.

We had gotten the very big LEGOs, the ones that would not fit in her mouth so she wouldn't choke on them. I helped her build a house for her doll which she put inside.

"Ta-da," Emma said.

"Good job Emma," I said happily.

We played house with the doll and Emma made sure to keep her teddy bear right beside her. It was fun playing with her, seeing her so happy.

After a while it was time for bed. I brought Emma upstairs to the crib in Ben and I's room. She still wasn't old enough yet to have her own room, but Ben and I were busy decorating it. I brought Emma into the bathroom and made sure that her diaper was clean, then put the new onesie on over her. It was green with red collars and cuffs, and there were reindeer all over it.

"You like?" I asked, showing her the mirror. I looked at the glass myself and saw Emma. She looked extremely fit for a baby and her ice blue eyes were exactly like mine. She had nice black hair as well, except I could see some naturally occurring highlights that were brown, like Ben's hair.

She was just poking the random reindeer. I brought her over to the crib and gave her the milk bottle.

"You know, I'm not sure why I keep carrying you. You can walk."

"I like," Emma said.

"I'm sure you do." I tilted the bottle towards her mouth and she drank up. It was done very quickly and I could see that she was satisfied. Ben came up behind me and watched.

"Ok, goodnight Emma," I said.

"Goodnight Emma, I love you," Ben said, poking her in the belly.

"I wuv you Dadda," Emma said sleepily.

"What about Mama?" I asked with fake sadness.

"I wuv you Mama," she said, and I watched her drift off into sleep. I placed Bella beside her and Emma subconsciously leaned against the teddy bear.

Ben led me over to the bed and I laid down with him.

"Have you put any thought into the job offer from Cyrus?" Ben asked me.

"I don't know yet, Emma's still very young."

"We can't live off this government money forever."

"I know, I just want to wait a bit."

"It's ok, babe." He kissed me on the forehead. Even though he had been eating unhealthy, he still had a perfect six pack and was very lean and muscular.

I felt an urge to go to the bathroom so I headed over. I did the business and went to the sink to wash my hands.

My hand accidentally hit beside the sink and it opened up the secret chamber there.

The letter.

I still hadn't opened it.

I made sure the bathroom door was locked.

I was nervous for the first time in a while. I took the letter from the chamber and then closed the chamber. Slowly I opened it, breaking the official CIA seal.

He's still out there.

I quickly went over to the toilet and ripped up the envelope and the letter.

I will not speak about this.

Not now.

Not ever.

I flushed the toilet and headed back out to the bed.