Chapter 13

May 15th, 2029

In The Sky

1030 hours

Ben's POV

The plane tilted downard suddenly. I heard lots of screams from passengers as we took the nosedive.

I looked outside the window and could still see the missile coming towards us.

"Come on Erica," I muttered.

Emma was looking around curiously, wondering why everyone was yelling. I put the headphones back over her ear, hopefully to muffle out some of the sound.

I looked back out the window and saw that we had cut through the clouds. I could see the metropolitan area of Toronto below.

The plane suddenly tilted right back up, to more screaming from the passengers. I could only pray Erica was doing alright in the cabin.

Erica's POV

I tilted the plane right back up out of the descent. The pilots were not entertained by this.

"You're gonna kill us allllllllll," he said, the last word stalled as I kept pushing the plane up. I saw on the radar that missile was almost in contact with us. I pressed the cargo bay button and opened it up. I let 3 suitcases fly out before closing it back up.

I pushed up on the controls and then towards me, putting our engine in stall and essentially making the plane do a backflip. I was eyeing the radar, watching the missile.

I saw the missile disappear from the radar and then heard a BOOM behind me. I put the plane back in control and headed onto descent to the airport.

Ben's POV

We were upside down out of nowhere, and then just as suddenly, out of it, back on a normal path. I had managed to hold onto Emma throughout the ordeal. I heard a few people vomiting and crying, but most were too scared to talk. I saw Erica walk back out of the cockpit and towards us. She sat down.

"That was crazy," I said, whispering.

She just smiled at me.

The pilot informed of us our descent and I watched out the window as we touched down into a new country.

**timeskip**

We were waiting by the baggage claim for our things. Emma was walking around in circles around us. It was taking a long time, obviously, after what the plane had been through. We were trying to keep a low profile, hopeful that no one would approach us about what had happened.

Our bags finally came around on the carousel and we grabbed them and headed out. We heard the pilots complaining about how their bags had been shoved out of the plane, but I don't know what that was about. We hailed a taxi and set en route for a hotel nearby.

We had set up rooms already before hand, so it was quick to get our key cards and head inside. We had gotten a room with a king sized bed, a full ensuite, and a large balcony. Courtesy of CIA.

I started unpacking things while Emma sat on the bed with Bella the bear. We left the suitcase for clothes on a chair while Erica started unpacking a spy suitcase. It had 2 laptops, 2 headsets, and a bunch of spy gear.

It was now around 12 pm.

"Well," I said as I plopped down on the bed. "What now?"

Erica came to sit down beside me.

"It's weird how all of our recent missions start off with us knowing absolutely nothing," she said.

"And we still get it done," I said.

"Well, this time we have a little bit of a headstart. I found this list when I went looking for Zoe and Mike."

She showed me a photo on her phone.

The notes were of them expected to arrive on the 17th, B&B trucks as transportation, and expected date of attack on May 20th.

"It makes you wonder though," I said, thinking, "how much of this could be accurate. Seeing as we just got attacked by them 2 days before they are supposed to be here."

"Also the fact that they knew we were on that plane," Erica said.

"This just keeps getting better and better," I muttered, at a loss for words. "When are your parents coming?" 

"On the 17th."

I just sighed. Even though we had somewhat of a lead on what to look for, this mission just didn't seem right. I had an off feeling, but I couldn't place my finger on it.

"What do you want to do?" I asked Erica.

"Why don't we rest for a bit?" She responded. She looked just as frustrated and annoyed as I did.

We both laid down in bed with Emma. 

"Mommy and Daddy aren't feeling good?" She asked.

"No, we'll be fine," I said to her, rubbing her head.

"Okay," she said. She was already snuggled up with her teddy bear and ready for a nap.

Me and Erica dozed off.

**timeskip**

Erica's POV

I waited until Ben was asleep. I heard him snoring softly and left the room quieter. I headed up through the stairs to the top of the roof. The hotel was extravagant, so of course, so was the rooftop. There was a pool, hot tub, sauna, and putting course. There was also a maintenance hut, which I climbed on top of, so as not to have to make conversation with anyone.

I stared out at the city. I saw the CN Tower, the various sporting arenas, and the skyscrapers that dazzled to the eye. Not quite New York, but it was special in its own way.

I dialed Trixie on my phone.

"Hi Erica," she said. "What's up?"

"I was just checking on how your vacation is going," I responded.

"Hahaha," she said, laughing. "You actually care about someone other than Ben?" 

"Good one," I said.

"It's going fine. Why?"

"We might need you back soon," I responded.

"Why's that? I'm not even a full fledged spy. I kind of just do what I want."

"Something isn't right about ... "

"Erica I already know you're on a mission. I'm not an idiot, you know."

"Something isn't right about this mission. I know Ben feels it too, but he hasn't said anything. When are you coming back?"

"In 4 days."

"Any chance you could land in Toronto?"

"My flight was connecting through there anyways. I'll cancel the second part and meet you."

"Thanks Trixie, I appreciate it."

"Well you better let me know more before I get there."

"All in due time."

I hung up the phone and sighed. I tried calling Grandpa next but there was no answer.

I jumped down from the hut and headed back downstairs. I assumed that whoever was onto us would find out where we were soon. We couldn't stay in the same building for that long.

I slipped my card over the handle and entered the room.

To find no Ben and no Emma.