XIX. E F R A I N S

-
V I O L E T T E
-

Trigger Warning!

He was beyond drunk. The usual demeanor and guard he kept up for the Efrains had came down along with many of his words being muffled.

I softly pulled my face out of his hand and wrapped my arm around his waist for him to lean in as I slowly moved him towards the corner leather couch prompted in his office.

"What are you doing?" He asked as I pulled him down on the couch. His usual silky hair was teased out of place while those grey eyes were still enough to create thunderstorms on someone's mind.

"I'm laying you down because you're absolutely drunk," I told him as he hummed in agreement before laying his head down on the head of the couch.

His eyes drooped with unspoken words and sleep as I gently pulled his hair back. As soon as he closed his eyes, I kneeled beside him and did the work of loosening his tie and comfortably placing his neck under the throw pillow on the couch.

With one more quick glance, I walk out of the office.

"Oh great, there is someone in the office." I look up to find a finely dressed woman looking at me as I stand midway towards my cabin.

"Is he in there?" I stand there as the woman looks me down and graces her red lips with a smile.

"Sorry, do you have an appointment with Mr.Efrain?" I question as she stands there in her velvet green dress and rakes her fingers through her tight mocha curls.

"No, I don't sweetheart. But, he called me for assistance." Not knowing what to say, I nod and then clear my throat.

"Yes, he's in there. Although I don't know if he will be able to assist you at the moment."

"Well great, I'll take it from here. Have a great day." She says as she walks towards the direction of his office in her royal black heels and tanned legs.

With a heavy heart, I move into my office cabin. The thought of who she is swims through my mind as I worked to reschedule his schedule for the day. Is she a girlfriend? An ex?

Those thoughts were a nuisance, knowing I had no right to interfere in his personal life, but the want to be part of it started to fade in.

~

The day passes like a blur as I move around the schedule and respond to potential clients of the news of Ruben being unavailable to seek worthy contracts along with their terms.

I click out of the computer as soon as I finish and clean up my desk along with the glittering of files stacked on top of each other.

I gather my belongings and walk out of my office. I glance over at the wooden door stapled with CEO and wonder if I should check in on him, but quickly decide against it when I remember how deep my responsibilities actually run as his assistant.

I shake my head and go to the silver elevators, making my way into the lobby to my awaiting vehicle. Before I could get into the car, my eyes met Ruben and the woman I had met up in the lobby of the ninth floor.

He looks at me with those same grey eyes that demanded me to kneel. Whoever the woman was besides him caught our little interaction and shook her head in amusement.

The frown marrying his face told me more than needed and I glanced away from him before getting into the car.

The trip home didn't take long as it was spent mostly in utter silence. Peering at the tall buildings that crept into the clouds, I let go of all my thoughts one by one. She looked perfect beside him and yet I wanted to decide against it for some reason.