I

"I've never felt this warm as I did

When you touched me, gave me

Goosebumps from head to toe"

When my parents died I was 15 years old. 

Still at 16, almost 17, I cannot go a day without reliving the day. We sat in the funeral home. Darrell, solid 19- about to go to college, a man made of static. Strong jaw, brave face no tears. Sodapop, 16, a young man with a facet behind his eyes. He feels too much for the fear of too little. Ponyboy, 12- soon to be 13, a boy crying in spite of himself. And me, I sat there shaking, I'd ran out of tears to cry. I noticed Sodas grip on my hand, It was crushing, surely it was going to leave a bruise.

Now days I spend all of my time trying to better my family. I get straight A's, I stay out of trouble, I work my drive in theatre job. I do extra curricular to try and gain scholarships and I spend spare time in the library. Most people would assume I'm a silly soc if it wasn't for my brothers.

Darry roofs houses. He dropped out of his senior year to raise us, giving up any scholarships he'd earned. I wanted to feel bad but he always told me not to.

Soda works at a gas station downtown. He dropped out just this year to help pay rent. He doesn't feel affected by it, he doesn't think you need school to be smart or money to be happy. He's in love and happy, that's all we ask of him.

Pony is in school still, he's a freshman. He plays track and he's a dreamer. Movies and books, he likes sunsets and he likes cloud. He's simple like that.

I wake up today. Friday, like any other. My bedroom is less of a bedroom and more of a closet. I sit up and open the door, finally the sunlight comes to my e/c orbs. The same thing I was named after graces my eyes every morning. Sunshine. My father always said, "When there is only darkness, you be the light, My sunshine."  . My 'room' leads into Pony and Sodas shared room. The alarm clock reads 5:30. 

I stand in my door way, pajamas clinging to my slightly sweaty body. I stare at my kid brother and mid brother, cuddled together and sprawled about the bed.

I get clothes from my drawer and change in my dimly lit 'room'. I throw on a shirt I'd stolen from Dally, that he'd stolen from a big time shop and a pair of my mothers old jeans.

 I throw on a shirt I'd stolen from Dally, that he'd stolen from a big time shop and a pair of my mothers old jeans

Once I finish changing I run out and jump on Pony and Soda. "Wake up knuckle heads!" I yell, I shake them back and forth until they are rolling out of bed.

"Good Morning Y/n Sunshine Curtis." Pony groans, rolling his eyes. His white t-shirt it sweaty and his forehead shines in the pale sunlight.

I giggle hitting him with a pillow. "Don't roll your eyes at me, they'll stay stuck in the back of you head."  I say, pulling him into a loose headlock and giving him a 'noogie'.