IX

"Do you know how embarrassing that was?

To stay with somebody who hates you  

Because"

I look at the gang. They don't look happy but they look, sorrowful.

"Sunshine, go change. you're not going on this date." Ponyboy demands, grabbing my arm harshly. 

"Y-you're my kid brother. if i cared for your opinion i'dve asked." I say aggressively. ripping my arm out of his grasp.

"Y/n." Darry says warningly. I ignore him. I run out of the house.

"Y/n!" He screams again.

It's a dull whisper by now. I keep running. I duck in behind a thrift store down the street and I seem to lose them. I go through the back doors and walk the isles. If I'm actually gonna run away I have to look different.

I find a new outfit and a hat that will cover my face and hair.

(No bag)

I pay the 12 dollars for the new outfit, keeping my boots and run off again. Either I could head towards the country or I could catch a train. I remember a church somewhere that Dallas talked about hiding in. That seemed like my best bet. It's on a place called Jay mountain.

I walk close to corners and stay hidden. I heard my name being screamed a few times but brushed it off to not show suspicion. I wish I could return to my family but i cannot stand to see them right now and I do not wish to know Dallas fate after this.

At times like this i swear i can hear Tobias. Pleading with me to stay. I swear i can hear him.

"Y/n."

"Y/n Sunshine!"

"Y/n SUNSHINE Curtis!"

 I snap my head around. Blurry vision overlooks a blurry figure, my head processes bits of red and white until i clearly see a shocked Cherry Valence, running up to me.

"Girl where are you going? Pony is looking for you." She said hugging me.

I grimace. Ponyboy. "I'm running away. I'm going to a place far away and if you tell as much as a soul. I will slash you the same way johnny slashed your boy toy. got it. If anyone wants to find me they'll have to pry Dallas Winston for a good buck to rack his pea brain." I threaten.

I violently turn and continue running. I spot a train, it's stopped but i can see guard coming. I jump into a cart and hide behind a barrel

My legs are cold as the air prickles them. I have about $100 on me, which is a lot considering the amount I make but I've become a material girl. Who am i kidding, I've become a soc and now i'm changing. I'm no soc, no greaser. I'm on the run, gone a stray.

//////

I feel the train come to a harsh stop. I jump out. I see a small gas station not a DX, good sign. I run in. "Hello, I'm from out of town I fell asleep on my train, what town am I in?"

"You're in Windrexville."