VI

"Your pride, is what you're concerned about?

Is "you're right" really all you wanna hear right now?

Well, you're right, I should've walked away faster"

Sylvia... Sylvia... Sylvia will be here any minute, and you don't wanna be here when she comes.

I angrily slip out of the bar. was this his plan? To bring me out here and ditch me. I walk in the bitter cold. My damp jacket barely keeps out the cold. I walk into a gas station. I snatch some drinks and leave. I can feel tears in the back of my eyes, but I push them away. I'm so done with this, Grease vs Soc. Falling in love. So much has happened in a span of 3 days.

Ponyboy and I gets jumped.
I get attacked.
Two pulls a knife on a soc and Dallas try's to fight him.
Darry hit Ponyboy.
Me Pony and Johnny run away.
I get assaulted.
Pony gets drowned half to death.
Johnny slashes a soc.
We're in the hospital.
I cut off all my hair.
We get together and are happy as a gang.
I sneak out with The Boy, Girls Dream About
I'm alone, robbing a gas station.

I stop in my tracks. I turn around. This isn't me, I don't want to get tough. When you get tough, you don't get hurt. But if everything is painless, you never grow.

I walk back into the gas station... Now soaked cheeks, I place the drinks on the counter and pull out 5 dollars. The man looks at me, his big thick glasses shine in the light.

"I-I was gonna steal these," I sob, wiping snot from my nose with my jacket sleeve. "But I can't."

He just looks at me, astonished. "Thank you." He smiles. "For your honesty, It's never to late to have a change of heart." I laughs. He hands me my change.

"Keep it... Please." I say, pushing it back to him. He smiles at me, I grab my drinks and leave.

Go home. I sneak around the back and climb through my window. I quietly get undressed. So much for that thing. I think, discarding my dress. as I unwrap my chest, I see the bruises are now yellow, signifying they are healing. I apply salve and re-wrap. I put on pj shorts and climb into my make shift bed.

The sounds of the gang echo in my ears from outside the door. Music, talking, laughing. Do they even realize i'm gone? I push any intrusive thoughts out of my head. Sleep. i plead with myself to go to sleep.

After what feels like an eternity i hear the door creek open. Please just be Pony or Soda going to sleep. I plead in my head.

"All clear." I hear Soda whisper. "What did you need to talk with me about?" He asks.

I listen closely. "Soda." a girl says sorrowfully. Sandy?. "There is no easy way to tell you this." My interest is peaked.

"You can tell me anything love, It's you and me against the world." Soda says in a sing-song voice to her.

She sighs. "Soda don't hold my hand." Although I cannot see them. I can picture his face. "I'm gonna make this quick for you. I'm pregnant."

"But, Sandy we've never-."

"Sodapop, It's not yours... I was too timing you." She whispers.

Soda stays silent. I'm burning for him on the inside. He's never done anything to deserve this.

"I-I'm going to leave now. And then to Florida, to be with my mother." She says.

I hear the door open and then close. The room is silent. I sit up. Soda is sitting on the bed, facing the door.