SIXTEEN

Haseul confidently say that she was the happiest she had ever been in her life. Her classes were amazing, she had the best girlfriend on the planet, and even as Haseul watched Sooyoung get knocked to the ground by her little sister, who was screaming and shouting about "stranger behind Haseul", she couldn't wipe the smile off her face.

"Yeojin! Leave her alone! You're almost an adult for god's sakes," Haseul pulled her sister away from her girlfriend, who huffed a breath of relief and stood up slowly, mouthing to Haseul that she was fine even though she winced as she wiped the dirt off her legs. Haseul knew all too well how hard the concrete in front of her house was.

The door, that had been left ajar when Yeojin had seen them on the street and jumped Sooyoung, was now pushed open by Haseul's parents, who smiled and waved.

"Haseul! Come on in, both of you,"

Haseul was back at her parents for spring break, Sooyoung joining her since she wasn't exactly ecstatic about time with her own family. It would be the first time Haseul ever brought home someone she was dating, and she was so nervous.

She was more worried for Sooyoung though. She knew her girlfriend's parents weren't completely accepting, and she was worried that Sooyoung might act cold because she expected the same thing. She didn't know that that was never how Haseul's parents were. They had been happy for her when Haseul came out, and they'd never treat her differently than a boyfriend. If anything, they seemed more excited about Sooyoung, both commenting on how drop dead gorgeous she was when Haseul sent pictures.

Yes, she was. Haseul agreed.

Sooyoung's hand which had been resting on the small of her back as they had walked towards the house, was politely pulled away by Sooyoung, who cleared her throat and shot Haseul a nervous look.

When they got in the house, Haseul's family all turned to Sooyoung.

"It's so nice to finally meet you!" Said Haseul's mom, holding out her hand which Sooyoung quietly shook.

"Sorry for attacking you," Yeojin shrugged. "Just precautions," Haseul glared at her.

"You must be Sooyoung," Haseul's father exclaimed warmly, smiling at the taller girl. "Haseul has told us all about you,"

Haseul blushed. "I don't know if that's true,"

"I'm delighted to be here," Sooyoung said stiffly, and Haseul looked up at her in concern.

Oh god, she looked so nervous. She was clutching her bag with white knuckles and her posture was awkward, like she was trying to be as unnoticeable as possible.

Haseul also noticed that she had created an awkward amount of space between the two of them.

"Soo," Haseul said softly. "It's okay. They're totally fine with me having a girlfriend,"

Sooyoung flinched at the word. "I'm just-"

Haseul reached up and kissed her cheek. "See? It's not so bad,"

"Oh don't worry honey, we're not the kind of people who judge," Her mom assured Sooyoung. "We're just all feeling very happy to see how much Haseul likes you,"