Chapter Thirty-Three: POWER

The four of us walked out to Thanos. Each of us was ready for what we would have to do. 

"Clint, where the hell are you?" I muttered between clenched teeth.

"On my way, traffic is a bitch," he said sarcastically. 

"Hurry," I said, the desperation seeking out of each and every word. I didn't even try to hide the panic. I wasn't sure what would even happen if I got the stones, but it was worth a shot. And that's all we needed, a shot. A shot to get it right this time. 

Straight ahead, Thanos was waiting for us. 

"You could not live with your own failure. And where did that bring you? Back to me. I thought by eliminating half of life, the other half would thrive. But you've shown me that's impossible. And as long as there are those that remember what was, there will always be those that are unable to accept what can be. They will resist," Thanos said, almost mocking us. 

"God you're self-important," I said finally fed up.

"No. I'm thankful. Because now, I know what I must do," Thanos said, standing to his feet. The height of him was no less intimidating now than had been all those years ago. "I will shred this universe down to its last atom."

"And then– With the stones, you've collected for me, create a new one. Teeming with life, but knows not what it has lost but only what it has been given. A grateful universe." Thanos finished his speech. 

"Born out of blood," Steve said to him, trying to hit some sort of guilt button that I knew wouldn't be there. 

Thanos would have no sympathy. He was devoid of all emotions. He then stood, almost lazily. As if we were something unavoidable, yet easy to get rid of all the same. Like we were the irritating gnat in his face. Annoying, but easily killable. 

As he stood, he pulled a huge dual-ended sword from behind his back, eyes not leaving us. He was trying to intimidate us. Maybe he was more scared than I thought. Or maybe I was trying to see holes where there weren't any. 

All I wanted to do was to destroy him. I wanted to make him pay for the hell he put us through. Then suddenly, out of the corner of my eye, I saw Clint. 

"GO!" Steve and Tony yelled in unison before I even had a chance to teleport to Clint. I watched as Thanos' eyes darted to Clint, then to me. 

"You!" His eyes were on mine, but before anything could happen he threw his sword at me. I jumped out of the way. He was in full attack mode now. 

Every time I tried to get Clint's location in my eyesight, he was throwing something at me. 

"We have to push him back," I said to them. "I'll never get up there if I have to keep dodging him this way."

Then, Thanos was on me, and I tried forced a rock in his path. This only slowed him down. The other three were trying to get him off of me, but it was like Thanos knew what I was trying to do. He knew I wasn't just trying to play keep away. I had my own mission with the stones and he wasn't going to let that happen. 

Tony went in, trying to get him off of me. But, he only grabbed Tony by his head and feet, like he was going to split him in half. Then, Thor came at him with his hammer and lightning, but Thanos used Tony as a shield,  blocking the lightning. He then discarded Tony when he was done using him like he was nothing but trash. 

Suddenly, I watched in horror as he slammed Steve to the ground. I let out a cry, forgetting the stone. I was now on the offense. I went straight for him and was able to dodge his hand as he tried to punch me, but I was quicker, teleporting behind his back. I sent an energy blast into his back, sending him stumbling. 

That's when Thor came in, smashing him, but he quickly turned it around and had Thor pinned against the rock. I came barreling in, trying to get him off, but he grabbed me by the throat and tossed me like I weighed nothing. I went crashing to the ground, rolling and hitting my head. 

I watched helplessly from the ground as Thor called for his weapon, only for Thanos to grab it and use it against him. 

That's when I saw Mjolnir move. 

But it was Thor who called upon it. I watched in disbelief as I looked up to see Steve wielding it. 

"I knew it!" Thor cried out. 

That's when I felt something hit the ground by my side, it was an arrow. Attached to it was the gauntlet. I looked over to see Steve was laying it on Thanos. I knew this was the moment. I looked over to see Tony, he lifted his mask. 

"Do it now!" he mouthed in a panic, looking like he was nursing his wounds. 

I felt the draw of the stone as my hand reached out for it. It floated out of its spot right into my palm, the one that had been calling me. The mind stone. 

As soon as it was in my palm, a beam of light enveloped me and I was floating, power surged through my body. It was a power I had never felt in my life. It was like feeling power I had been missing all of this time. Like a part of the experiment was never completed. 

I let out a scream as it took over my body, I looked down at my hands and saw they were glowing brighter than they ever had, my metal arm was vibrating with the power. I finally came back down, the stone lying flat in my hand now. 

I smashed it back in the gauntlet. I tied it back in the arrow, launching it as far as I could to Clint with my metal arm. 

"Your eyes.." Tony said, without finishing his sentence. "That was crazy..." 

"Keep this out of their hands," I sent to Clint in a brain message. 

I looked back to where Steve and Thanos had been fighting. Thanos was now on top of Steve, I saw his shield was torn in half. I knew what I would have to do. 

"Thanos!" I yelled, he stopped in his tracks. I watched as Steve dropped to the ground. My heart seized. 

I made eye contact with Steve as he was lying on the ground. I felt breathless to see him like that way. He was looking up at me, amazed.

"You again," Thanos said, but I watched as he paused now. It was like he was seeing me for the first time now. 

"Didn't anyone ever tell you?" I asked him, challenging. 

"Tell me what?" 

"You don't mess with my husband." 

~A/N Hope everyone enjoyed it! 

We have had a family medical emergency the last few weeks and it has been really hard to feel motivated to write. I apologize for the long time in between updates. 

However, I hope you all enjoyed this chapter and look forward to the next one.

Also, did you see Shang-Chi? If so, did you enjoy it? I saw it this last weekend and I thought it was great!~