Chapter forty-Two: Where We Lay

There was a bright light. I wasn't sure where I was as my eyes slowly opened. It hurt to open them all the way. But I pushed forward. I panicked for a moment, jerking up, a loud hiss came out of my mouth without my consent as I sucked in my breath, it was like my stomach was suddenly on fire. 

"Fuck!" I said involuntarily as I reach toward my abdomen. That's when I noticed the large bandage around my torso, on top of it I was wearing a blue and white hospital gown. 

I let out a deep breathe as I tried to let my eyes adjust to everything around me.

I looked down to see I was in a hospital bed. Surprise surprise. It seemed to always end up this way didn't it?

Before I had time to look around the room, my door opened and in walked Steve, a glass of water in his hand. This was promptly dropped on the ground as soon as his eyes landed on mine. He was by my side in an instant.

His warms arms wrapped themselves around me. I clutched onto him like he was a life preserver and I was in need of rescuing. I inhaled deeply, not wanting to let go of this moment. I could smell his cologne, it was warm and sweet like him.

"You scared me," he breathed out.

"Don't I always?" I asked breathlessly. I tried making a joke out of it, but I knew there was nothing funny about it.

"Not like this," he whispered, kissing the top of my head.

His grip lessened as he pulled back and he looked me over. He looked at me as if I was made out of glass and I'd break at any second.

"I thought you weren't going to come back," he told me. "They had to give you a lot of blood."

"How long has it been?" I asked him.

"5 days," he told me. I looked at him now, really took a long look. There were dark circles under his eyes. His face was tight with worry. His chin had stubble and his hair was jostled. He looked like a walking zombie.

"I'm sorry," I told him. I never knew it would affect him this way. "I was trying to help everyone."

"I know," he said gently. "The doctor's, they uh told me, well they told me you probably weren't going to make it." 

"I'm right here," I assured him, grabbing his hand and scooting over on the bed and pulling him beside me. He was comically too large for the spot beside me on the small twin bed, but it didn't matter. "I won't be going anywhere." 

"I'll never let you put yourself in danger like that again," he whispered. 

"I know," I said, trying to keep him calm. I kissed the top of his head. "Do you want to talk about everything?"

He shook his head, but then he grabbed my hand, putting it to his forehead.

"You sure?" I asked.

He nodded in response, and that's when I saw everything he saw the last five days. I was seeing everything in his perspective suddenly. I could feel everything he was. It was like I was him in these brief moments. 

Steve's POV

I watched as the Tony and Morgan were trying to stop Thanos. I felt helpless, trying to continue to fight off the monsters that were in my path. All I wanted was to get rid of them all, to help Morgan and Tony. But, they were holding their own. For now. 

But, I felt a moment of relief when I saw Thanos snap and nothing happened. They had done it. Then, I watched helplessly as Thanos grabbed his spear, moving towards Tony. Then, like in slow motion I saw Morgan connect the dots.