chapter 3

Tine is sitting on the sofa, watching tv as the chaotic noises in the hall annoy the hell out of him. He really doesn't care what's on the tv as he's barely even watching it. He looks at his mother who's readying the table for dinner while Pear and Fong are busy rooting each others' hair out of their scalp. He wonders if Fong has broken Pear's lipstick again or if Pear has told mom that Fong wears her dresses when he's alone at home.

"Tine!" Mrs. Teepakorn shouts from the kitchen island and motions him to call Earth to see where he reached. Earth and his mother were joining for dinner to celebrate the news together. Tine nods and pries for his phone on the table.

"Here" his grandma says, throwing the phone in his lap before sinking next to him in the sofa.

"How are you holding up son?"

Tine sighs, "I don't know. Better than before, I guess?"

She nods in an understanding but then says excitedly, "show me the ring."

Tine rolls his eyes, "so much for being supportive."

He displays his ring anyway and she sees it before swatting his hand away.

She grimaces, "looks like what you'll gift your employee for not shitting in the meeting."

Tine laughs, "technically the situation feels somehow similar. I'll go call him."

He stands up before walking to his room. He needs to prepare well to face his fiancé.

.....

"Hi sweetheart" Earth says, giving a peck on Tine's lips before handling him the bouquet. Tine hugs him and then his mother who smiles back, with the fakeness that really matches that of Tine. Earth's mother has never been too fond of Tine. He heard her once saying to Earth that she feels he is very edgy and insensitive. Tine could not understand what had made him sadder, the knowledge that his to be mother in law doesn't like him at all or the fact that his to be husband did not even try to stand for him.

Earth and his mother exchange pleasantries with the other members of house. They like Earth, enough to welcome in their house, not enough to have Tine marry him. But his father.. Earth is quite sweet and respectful towards people, despite being the future ceo of Pirapat holdings. Tine knows it. Tine knows all of it and yet, he feels in his gut that he is not what Tine has asked from life.

"So.." Mrs. Pirapat says after Earth went to washroom, "when are you two meeting the wedding planner?"

Tine stops in middle of scooping a big chunk of icecream from his bowl and looks up to see everyone's eyes on him.

"Umm" he says laughing awkwardly, "actually I and Earth have decided we want this to be a simple wedding, just with family and friends."

"Aww" his grandma and siblings cooed in unison.

He laughs at their stupidity and starts eating again.

"What?" Mrs. Pirapat says in a surprise, "I thought you agreed for the destination wedding."

"What?"

"Oh my god! We're having destination wedding?" Pear squeals in excitement.

Tine frowns, "I'm not sure aunty what you're talking about."

"Earth told me you wanted a simple wedding but after we all discussed in our home, we thought wouldn't it be more fun if it's grand? I mean what's the point of so much money when we can't even have a proper wedding of our only son. Right?

Tine's mother laughs, "I told him the same thing. But he kept insisting that he doesn't want to hype it."

"Oh come on" Earth's mother says, hitting Tine's shoulder playfully, "you're just being nervous that's all. Besides, Earth said you have agreed for it."