chapter 7

Tine spends half of the next day hanging out with his family all over the resort area and the beach. He figures Earth needs some space as he avoided talking to him during breakfast. He lets him be. Tine thinks that's how we solve most of our problems - giving them space to wither themselves. He wonders if that's the reason why he always finds himself in troubles. Because he never fights them? But then his mind reminds how he is fighting a feeling, dangerous enough to cause tons of troubles and perhaps, greater than all of them in his life. As he sits on the beach, trying to feel the weight of the sunlight on his bare legs, he thinks of Sarawat's bare body on the top of him. The thought throws him off the cliff but by now, Tine has become shamelessly used to getting up again, climbing the cliff and pretending his heart didn't feel the wild push. 

...

The other half of the day Tine spends sleeping in his room as his head starts to feel heavy. By the time he wakes up, it's already dinner time and Pear tells him everything he missed out on due to sleeping like a log. The pool party, Mrs. Wan's argument with the hotel manager, Earth's narcissistic comments on the business world in Bangkok during lunch, Sarawat's singing with grandma, Mae's..

"Sarawat?" Tine interrupts, "he came?"

Pear frowns and scans his face, "yes?"

Tine shrugs and flicks her head, saying they will be late for dinner.

His eyes gleam as they find Sarawat laughing next to grandma while the food is being served. He looks ever so fresh in an orange and olive striped   sweatshirt with his hair falling on his forehead. Tine fixes his hair clumsily before walking to the dining table. He tries not to be obvious about the sudden mood lift and sits quietly next to Earth. Sarawat looks at him and his eyes rest at Tine's face a little longer than he had mentally resolved to.

"How's your headache?" Mrs. Teepakorn asks to which Tine simply nods. He doesn't want to talk too much, too less, breathe too much, too less. He has no idea how to act subtle when all he can think of is how many seconds later, should he look at Sarawat again? Sarawat realises Tine is stealing glances and he shifts uncomfortably in his chair. He coughs and looks around to make sure everybody else is busy talking. He slowly moves his orbs to Tine and finds him staring back at him. Tine quickly shifts the gaze to Earth's mother who is now reciting some old story and Sarawat bends his eyes to his plate. He looks up again and Tine's eyes are still glued to Mrs. Pirapat as eveybody. Sarawat finds his chance and watches Tine but immediately turned his head to Mrs. Pirapat when Tine looks back at him.

"....and that's when I decided that Earth's wedding was going to be the most important moment of my life."

Tine raises his eyes as many of them aww at her. What was she talking about again? He wonders.

"I'd like to thank Sarawat" Mr. Phum says, "I was first skeptical of trusting some strangers to organise my son's wedding but I'm so happy we found exactly the right company."

Sarawat scratches his nape and blushes, "it's nothing sir. We just do our duty."

"Good thing Earth decided to hire you" Mrs. Pirapat says, "I was so afraid for the arrangements because he is too busy sometimes and Tine...well, he doesn't show any excitement for the preparations anyway."

Tine stops in his tracks as he hears his name and looks around to find eveybody's eyes on him, some were concerned, some mocking, some accusatory, some disappointed. He looks at Earth to see if he has anything to say to his mother but he knows better.

Pear clears her throat and asks Tine to pass the rice to her. He feels there has to be a limit to one's tolerance and he drops his spoon on plate, causing a high clanking sound before deciding to speak.