[ 51 ]

_______________
__________
_____

W I N T E R

51

"Don't worry when you are not recognized, but strive to be worthy of recognition

"Don't worry when you are not recognized, but strive to be worthy of recognition."

Lviv Region, Ukraine.
January, 1958

WHEN THEY PULLED HER FROM the cryostasis chamber she was disinterested in her surroundings. Her mind immediately narrowed down on one thought- James, James, James. She needed to know he was still alive, still breathing, still standing. She barely registered the hands shackling her to the metal table she'd been placed on, nor did she notice Dr. Schaffer's genuinely concerned look as he watched her unresponsive, blank expression. After she was cleaned of water and her vitals checked, her mask was removed and she was guided away by Dr. Schaffer.

Six soldiers surrounded her, all armed to the teeth.

It didn't matter.

She wasn't going to escape without James. That had never been an option in her mind, ever since the fiasco in Azzano. She was escorted to a cell with seven different locks, all of which Dr. Schaffer clicked open. He stepped inside and she followed hesitantly, unsure.

The soldiers remained outside of the door, guarding.

Inside the cell-like room were two chairs and a table, one neatly placed folder at the center of it, facing her direction. As she drew closer, she could read the printed Russian words, Зимний Coлдат, Winter Soldier.

She swallowed anxiously as Dr. Schaffer sat at the table, clasping his hands together and leaning them against the metal. He tilted his head silently and Lucy slowly sat down, her legs rigid and almost shaking. She put her hands in her lap, eyes shifting over the folder.

"Did I tell you to read that?"

Dr. Schaffer's voice was impeccably sharp and Lucy snapped her head back as if she'd been slapped.

Her gaze moved to Dr. Schaffer, who had a pleasant smile on his face. She realized it wasn't one of anger or one that was forced. He was relaxed, shoulders dropped and leg draped over the other.

"There are a few things you must be caught up with before we try putting you in a room with Barnes who is no longer Barnes." Dr. Schaffer paused for dramatic effect.

Lucy lifted her head, gazing into Dr. Schaffer's eyes. They were bright with amusement, excitement even, and it made her blood curdle uncomfortably under her skin. It terrified her enough that she dropped her eyes to the side of his face.

"What? No snarky remark?" He grinned.

Lucy took that as an invitation to speak.

"What year is it?" Her voice was quiet. "Where's James? What did you do to him? Is he dead? Who's the Winter Soldier? How can Barnes no longer be Barnes?"