[ 79 ]

_______________
__________
_____

I R O N
M A N

79

"'Impossible' is a term the fearful use to convince themselves that the yearning in their heart is not worth fighting for

"'Impossible' is a term the fearful use to convince themselves that the yearning in their heart is not worth fighting for."

Malibu, California
May, 2010

THE CREAKING OF STARK'S IRON man suit was the only thing Verfall could really hear amongst the lively crowd, cheers and shouts echoing around the living room of his Malibu mansion. She hyper fixated on it as she stood at the entrance of the home, uncertain eyes flicking back and forth as she allowed guests into the building, checking their invitations.

All of them were either reporters, actors, or other inventors who simply wanted to have a good time. She didn't really note their faces, letting them come and go as they pleased.

Verfall had two knives hidden in her combat boots, her phone pressed against her thigh. She let her eyes shift to the sports cars appearing and disappearing through valet parkers.

She was waiting for someone, and her patience was running thin. It wasn't because she was usually this impatient, but merely because the window she had to obtain information from Stark's closed off lab was running thin.

Pepper stepped past her and Verfall tapped her shoulder.

The CEO turned to look at her with a confused look. Verfall held her hand up to her lips, flicking her wrist as if she was drinking. Pepper grimaced at what she insinuated, and quickly entered the living room area.

Verfall waited a minute or so, before Rhodey appeared, stepping past her and reaching Pepper who had turned from the party as soon as she'd caught a glimpse of Stark's unhinged state.

"I- I need to take a breather." Pepper said breathlessly to Rhodey who frowned, concerned.

"What's wrong?" He questioned.

The pair disappeared back to the living room area, and Verfall shifted her attention back to the entrance. She checked several more guest ID's, before less and less started to trickle in. Her lips pressed into a thin line as another man stepped up the entrance.

He looked half-Irish, half-Cuban, a carefully styled beard clinging to his chin and looking reminiscent of an actor- Diego Luna. He looked familiar. Older, but familiar. A trainee she might've seen in passing. The tension in her chest released as he held out his invitation card.

His name was Isaac Murphy, the man Commander Rumlow had promised to send.

She handed the invitation back to him, smiling.