❈ Chapter 13 ⑅ Trying to provide for a better life

A few days passed, Chloe strolled into their apartment smiling

A few days passed, Chloe strolled into their apartment smiling. She saw him sitting on the couch, furiously typing on his laptop.

"I have something to tell you" she squealed happily and sat down beside him.

He took her hand and placed a kiss on the back. "What?"

"I got a job!" She announced with enthusiasm.

His eyes widened and he smiled. "Really? What job?" He asked

Chloe sighed. "As a waitress, they pay isn't much but it's a start"

With a frown, Axel nodded. "That's great..."

"You're not happy?" She questioned skeptically.

"I am, Chloe" he smiled. "It's just--- I don't even know what kind of job should I apply for. There aren't any options for a high school dropout" he explained in a tired voice. "I wanted to be the one, who earns for you... Not the other way around." He sighed disappointedly. "I hated your dad... I will feel like shit if you work and I don't!"

"Axel," she said softly. "Look at me..." He glanced at her and immediately averted his gaze, ashamed. "You said we are in this together..."

"I know but---"

"No, buts. Don't worry, you'll find something. Let me help you." She picked up his laptop. "What are you interested in?" She asked

"I don't know" he kissed her cheek. "You and... You" he smiled against her cheek.

She smiled. "Tell me!"

He exhaled loudly. "Cars... And Chloe" he laughed

"Cars... Hm--- we could work with that" she typed something on his laptop and scrolled down while he continuously kissed her bare shoulder. "Axel..."

"Yes," he breathed against her shoulder.

"Stop making out with my shoulder" she smiled

"Then let me make out your lips" he laughed lightly.

She playfully pushed him back. "You never get tired of this, do you?" She asked keeping her attention on the laptop.

"No" he pulled away. "I never get tired of you"

She gasped like she came to some conclusion. "Without a college degree and a high school diploma, you can either be a car mechanic or a car salesperson," she told him.

His eyes widened a little. "Why hadn't I thought of that? You figured it out by a single search?"

"Well, unlike you I know how to look for jobs"

He nodded and smiled. "I could be a car salesperson and if not that I know how to fix sports cars. I mean, I know everything about them. I used to fix my cars on my own." He explained.