Chapter 6: Whitlock and Blight

"Well we originally went to Hexside together and were very close. We did everything together: class, grudgby, going to the library, weekends, after school, all of our time was spent just the two of us. Then mom and dad, well mostly mom, started to notice and she drove a wedge between us. As an oracle she has a very strong hold on everyone she comes in contact with. She saw Autumn as a weakness and only wanted me to be strong. Eventually Autumn was such a 'weakness' that she dropped out of Hexside and went to Glandus to get away from me and my pressures of being a Blight. Then i finally decided to leave and found her again and it was the moment i laid eyes on that orange haired beauty that i knew she was the only person in the entirety of the Boiling Isles that i wanted." It had been years since Octavia had thought about this story but it came back as if it had just happened yesterday.

*Flashback to many years earlier, Autumn and Octavia are students at Hexside*

"Autumn! Come back! Please!" Octavia cried out, chasing after the girl she loved. Autumn stopped and turned around and waited for Octavia to catch up. 

"Wow. You are very fast. I keep forgetting that." Octavia had finally caught up and was out of breath seemingly fighting for her life. 

"That is why I was captain and you never were. I am faster than you, I am better than you I always have and always will. Just because I don't have a fancy, fantastical, privileged  last name like you!" As soon as Autumn finished what she said she slapped her hand to her mouth. She knew that being upset at Octavia because of her parents and their reputation was not a reason to be upset at her. Why was Autumn upset at Octavia anyway? For some reason she couldn't think of why, she guessed that being upset with her would make Octavia go away and make it just less painful for when she eventually left her alone. 

"Is,,,is that why you are mad and running away from me?" Octavia looked at her friend like she had just stabbed her in the heart. Actually she wasn't just a friend, Octavia loved Autumn a lot but she knew that Autumn didn't feel the same way about her. 

"I wish I could say it wasn't O, but..." Autumn sat down on the ground and wrapped her arms around her legs. She didn't want to tell Octavia how she felt and what Odalia had told her, Autumn just wanted things to be normal but they were far from normal. 

"But what?" 

"Octavia...I love you. I always have. I have loved you since we were in our first class together at school. I have loved you since you talked to me for the first time. I don't want to lose you but.. your mom came to my house the other day and scared me half to death. She said I was distracting you and if I actually cared about you I would leave you alone so you could be the most powerful witch in the Bowling Isles. She threatened me and of course my parents took her side because she is a Blight and you are a Blight and my parents are not accepting at all and..." 

Autumn was rambling and Octavia thought it was the cutest even tho she was upset rambling. Octavia couldn't control herself, she just got confirmation that Autumn loved her back so Octavia did the thing she had wanted to do for years, she grabbed the blubbering face of the girl she loved and kissed her. 

"Wow.." Autumn melted after Octavia kissed her.

"Don't ruin it." Octavia kissed her again. "Or do, I don't mind."  

 They stayed in the woods for awhile before the two girls realized it was getting dark and Odalia was probably freaking out about where Octavia was, Octavia gave Autumn one last kiss before they parted ways and Octavia went home happier than she had ever been. 

The only bad thing about coming home happy was that Odalia knew that something was up and Octavia knew that her mom would get the truth out one way or another. 

Odalia Blight married to Alador Blight right out of graduation from Hexside, had Octavia shortly after they were married and when Odalia's baby girl came out with brown hair like their father and not green like her she started the process making her baby girl just like her. So when Octavia came home happier than usual she knew immediately that her warning to Autumn did not land on either of the girls. 

"Octavia Blight. Where have you been?" Odalia demanded from the mezzanine. "I hope you were studying and not gallivanting around." 

"Mom I was at the library studying, I have a test tomorrow on some healing spells and so my friends and I were there. I promise." 

"You promise? Oh Kitten, I am so glad your dad and I raised you well enough to never lie to us. You know how much it would break my heart if you were not actually at the library."

"What are you getting at mom?" Octavia was now very suspicious of what was about to happen.

"Octavia Blight, you are a Blight you should only associate yourself with a select few. Those select few should be only the most powerful witches at Hexside. I know there is something between you and that Autumn girl and let me tell you right now Kitten, you are not allowed to see her again or I will personally make sure that she is never able to show her face around Hexside or anywhere in the Boiling Isles ever again, am I understood!" Odalia was yelling at this point and Octavia knew there was no point in arguing, but by the will of the Titan she would. 

"No." Octavia said quietly but as brave as she could. 

"What was that?"

"No! I won't. I will keep seeing Autumn, I will keep having the friends I have and there is nothing you can do about it. You know why you can't do anything mom, because I love Autumn more than anything in this world and I will do anything to make the world know that we are in love and it is going to be perfect. I am going to be the most powerful witch in the Boiling Isles no thanks to you or dad or anyone just me and Autumn. And. You. Can't. Stop. Me. Odalia." 

Octavia scared herself a little bit, she was inches from her moms face and fuming like the boiling rains. Her moms face looked terrified and then Odalia regained her composure and said two words. 

"Get. Out."

Octavia couldn't believe what she had just heard. Get out. Her facial expression changed from strong and proud to scared and upset. Just as Odalia had regained her composure so did Octavia. 

"Fine."

Octavia left, she went and packed a bag said goodbye to her twin siblings and the newly born Amity, kissed her father goodbye and left. She cut her green hair off, on the front step of Blight Manor as a gift to Odalia. Then she was alone, on her own and it was her time to find her own path without the last name Blight.