21-The Shift

~Tobias~

~Tobias~

Imogen lays in my arms, head resting against my chest. I lazily stroke my fingertips over her bare ribs and stomach. She sighs contentedly and goosebumps tingle over her skin.

"Does it bother you that I can't mark you back?" Imogen breaks the silence and makes me shift in surprise at her question.

I know Imogen is a runt in the wolf world, I hate the fact that they use such a demeaning term for her but that's what she is. Do I care that she can't shift? No. Do I care that she can't mark me? No. Do I care that she was Blake's mate? No.

I don't care about any of these things, I just care about her.

Sighing, my hands find their way under Imogen's thigh and back as I lift her onto my chest so I am looking down at her as she looks up at me.

"Do you care, Immy?" I ask softly as I run my fingers up her back. She thinks for a moment before shrugging her shoulders.

"It's just... like hard because I know I can't do that so it doesn't matter if I want to or not."

Frowning, I rub my thumb over her bottom lip and then I sit up. We need to have this conversation properly. Once we've sat up, I sense through the bond that Imogen is uncomfortable being so exposed in a different lift so I bend down and pick up my T-shirt to give to her.

"Thank you." She smiles up at me and snuggles into my body so her head is resting on my shoulder.

"Imogen, whether you can mark me or not, I don't care. I just love you, baby, fangs or not."

"You, you love me?" Imogen's lip trembles as she sits up and looks into my eyes, "You love me even though I'm a runt?"

"Yes baby, I love all of you."

"I love you too, Tobias." Immy gives me a quick kiss to the cheek before pulling away and putting distance between us. Even though we've only just mated, I'm already itching to feel her again but it's clear we need to have this talk first so I will hold back. Imogen is clearly feeling insecure about herself and I need to address this.

"Why does it bother you that you can't mark me, baby?" I twirl a tendril of her hair around my finger, admiring the vibrant colour of the red against my pale skin.

"Because..." Imogen flushes slightly, "I want everyone to know you're mine- like I am yours."

That answer surprises me, first of all, I didn't realise that my Imogen was so possessive of me, and secondly because it isn't actually about Imogen. She doesn't care that she can't shift, she cares that I might care.