2: Answers

I banged my clenched fists down on the wood table.  How could this be happening. Nothing they were telling me made sense. Nothing could explain what happened. No one could tell me where she was. Everyone I talked to gave me a different answer. A different story. I felt like I could punch someone in the face. All I wanted was the truth.

"Where the hell is she?" I grumbled. This was the fourth officer I'd met with that night, and each time my temper rose.

This time we were in a little office, quiet and secluded so I wouldn't disrupt anything again. Apparently when you start hitting the tables they start treating you like a four year old kid.

"Everything is alright, Braden. You're safe and secure, now. You have nothing to worry about. The situation is under control and a search is out for Jane. Most cases like this the missing person will show up in a day or two." The police man on the other side of the table rambled in a calm tone.

Wait. Hold up. Did he say Jane?

"Her name is Sara!" I raised my voice.

I stood up abruptly, launching the chair in the opposite direction. I stormed out of the office, muttering something about the cop's uselessness under my breath. I couldn't believe his utter lack of emotion. He didn't give a shit weather they found her or not. He didn't care. She was just a file to him, just a number. My eyebrows came down and my nose wrinkled. I waltzed through the maze of cubicles.

"I want to speak to the chief of police. NOW!" I demanded,  in front of a cluster of officers.

One man came out from an office. I recognized him. He was the one who I had met with in the beginning. when I didn't like his answers, he had passed me on to someone else.

"Alright. Calm down," His soft voice rang out. "The chief isn't in right now, but I can give you the address if you really must-"

"I need to speak with him." I insisted.

He grabbed a piece of paper off the nearest desk and bent down to scribble down the address.

He handed me the page. It had an address printed neatly in blue ink.

"Thank you," I said dryly.

I turned the other way and walked towards the elevator. I pushed the down arrow and waited for it to come.

thirty minutes later I was running down Lexington. Turns out, in all of the commotion I had completely and utterly forgoten about Harold's car.

"Fuck," I cursed under my breath. The traffic was flowing again. They must have towed the car or worse, it was stolen.

I felt up my pockets. Damn it. Nothing. I had left the keys in the stupid car. I kicked the ground and spun around. Screw it. Screw Harold, the newspaper, the whole damn thing.

I hailed a cab and jumped in. I was going to the cheif of police. I needed answers.