25: Amuck

I woke up again, laying on a stone hard surface, shivering. I wasn't too sure what had happened or how I ended up here. My eyes adjusted to the harsh light and I took in my surroundings. I was in a small room, the floor and walls were made of a beige cement-like substance that felt rough when I touched it, pushing myself to my feet.

There was a door but it had no handle or window. I immediately tried pushing on it but it didn't budge. I was trapped. Once again I was being held prisoner, but this time I didn't know who had me.

I knew I would have no choice but to sit and wait for something to happen. Someone would open that door eventually.  

So I sat back down on the floor and waited. The light that hung from the ceiling flickered, making me jump. I glared up at it.

"You better not go out." I stated, pointing a warning finger at the round fixture that hung from the ceiling.

It flickered again, as if in response.

I sighed and crossed my arms, leaning my back against the wall. What were the chances that I'd ever get back to earth?

I cursed myself for even thinking that I could escape. It seemed like I'd just gone from one bad situation to another.

Time ticked by as I sat against the hard rough wall. I kept thinking about Althazar, just replaying little moments that I had with him over and over in my head. They were so vivid, his eyes, that look he would give me when I said something that made him smile.

I touched my ear, wondering if the translator was still there. It was. I had gotten so used to it I didn't even feel it anymore. It was just normal now. Thinking about it, everything that had seemed so strange at first felt normal now.

The floor shook and started to vibrate beneath me. My heart jumped and I sprung to my feet. The door was moving, it was opening.

I clenched my fists and prepared myself for the worst. Whatever happened next, whoever stood on the other side of the door, I just hoped I would make it out alive.

The door slid open slowly, like it was heavy. A grinding sound of stone on stone filled the air. Through the expanding crack, came a  bright light. An armored figure stood in the doorway. He entered the room and grabbed me by the shoulders, his large hands weighed heavily. Forcefully, he shoved me out of the cell and into a hallway. I stumbled out of the room, feeling my heart jolt. In the hall, another guard was waiting at the ready. Each of them placed a hand firmly on one of my shoulders and paraded me down the dimly lit, dingy hall. Not a word was spoken.

I let out a soft sigh. Our footsteps echoed as we passed by door after door. It reminded me of the layout of the hall with "my room" in it. Why couldn't I have just stayed back there? Maybe I could have convinced the leader to take me home. I didn't even try.

It was too late for second thoughts now. What was done was done and I would await the consequences.

We reached a large door at the end of the hall. As we stood in front of it, waiting for it to open, I started wondering where Althazar was right now, if he had noticed I was gone yet, if he was worried.

The door drew up, shedding light onto a sight that made my eyes widen and my pupils dilate.