2

Harry had convinced him to go on a date with a girl from his job. He should have known better. They were half an hour into their dinner and he had already established that she was very shallow and mean. Apparently, he had no taste in clothes, his hair looked stupid and he probably had a small dick. Oh, what lovely thoughts people had.

Well, it was her loss. He was fucking fantastic in bed. He knew how to satisfy a woman because he heard what they wanted or needed. Women's thoughts could be pretty filthy during sex. He really enjoyed that part of his ability and the fact that he always knew what was going on with people. He had helped a lot of people with suicidal thoughts over the years. This? This was the part that he hated. It was just cruel and didn't exactly boost his confidence.

He ended the date as soon as possible and went over to Louis' and Harry's house. They loved him, their thoughts were always kind.
"Another bust?" Harry asked as soon as he opened the door and saw his facial expression.

"Yeah. She was awful, or her thoughts were." Niall sighed.

"I'm sorry mate." Harry said and clasped a hand on his shoulder before he invited him in.

Louis was watching a football game in the living room. Harry fetched them a beer and he took a seat.
"Bad date?" Louis asked.

"I'm gonna be alone for the rest of my life." Niall sighed.

"Can't you just turn it off? Like, when you need to?" Louis questioned.

"It's not like a fucking lamp switch. No, I can't turn it off." Niall muttered.

"I'm sorry, Niall." Louis replied softly.

"Yeah, whatever. It is what it is." Niall sighed.

"Hey! That's my motto." Louis grinned.

They watched the game together in silence. In half time there was an extra newscast. A building downtown was on fire.
"We should help out."

"The firefighters have it under control." Harry answered.

Niall sighed. They had all agreed to retire their costumes. Harry had been the one who pulled the plug when Louis managed to get himself killed a second time and Harry had to go back in time to prevent that from happening.

He only agreed because he knew how the four of them worried now when they were parents and had partners. They had too much to lose.

He was the odd man out. He didn't have a family. He missed the adrenaline rush and the fact that they made London safer. It had been a hard thing to give up and sometimes he put his costume on when he was home alone and got lost in memories. They had done some extraordinary things.

Darcy came into the living room. She stared at the tv.
"Dad! Papa! Why aren't you doing something?"

"Oh sweetie, the firefighters will handle that. That's not our place anymore. It's here, with you guys." Harry answered softly.

She gave him a long look and stomped to her room.
"She's disappointed in you." Niall pointed out after hearing her thoughts.

"She'll get over it. She's too young to understand the responsibility of raising a family." Louis answered.

"But you miss it!" Niall said.

"Stop reading my thoughts mate. Sure, I miss it but I love Harry too much to ever let him experience me dying ever again. I'm not gonna do that to him." Louis said.

Harry nuzzled his cheek against Louis' shoulder.
"You're gonna die one day." Niall couldn't help but point out.

"Yes, but hopefully I'll be grey and wrinkled by then." Louis chuckled.

"Can we stop talking about death?" Harry pleaded with a shutter.

"Of course. Sorry mate. I'm gonna head home." Niall smiled and got up.

Two weeks went by. He didn't date anyone. He was starting to give up on finding love. He had short relationships here and there throughout the years but they never lasted. He knew the second they grew tired of him.

His friend's kids were up to something. Whenever he met them they were thinking about cinnamon rolls, which was oddly specific and it was all of them. He decided to address it when he had a guy's night at Harry's and Louis' place. They were all hanging out on the patio, drinking a couple of beers, barbecuing.
"So guys, I don't want to alarm you but I think your oldest is up to something. They think about cinnamon rolls whenever I'm around." He informed them.

"No offense mate but they're teenagers. Maybe they just want some privacy, you know?" Zayn said and took a sip of his beer.

"Yeah, I get that, but they're all thinking about the same thing. That tells me that they planned it. Discussed it. That makes me worried. They might be up to something." Niall replied.

The four parents exchanged looks.
"He's right. We need to keep an extra eye on them." Louis said.

"They have been spending a lot of time together lately. They hang out in Wolf's treehouse after school most days." Liam said.

"They always spend time together." Zayn replied.

"Yeah, but anyway. Thanks, Niall for always looking out for our kids. I don't know how we would do this without you." Harry smiled and the others hummed in agreement.

"I love those little monsters, all of them." Niall answered, beaming. He really did.

They continued to talk and laugh while their teens were hanging out in Darcy's room, making plans that would be disastrous.