Chapter 9~The Kits

Frosttail gazed fondly down at the two new bundles of fur that suckled hungrily for food. It was a pain to give birth to her two new kits, but nothing compared to what pain Oakfur had caused.

She had given birth to a white tom with ginger spots and a black tail. And a white she-kit with a grey stripe down her back. She had named the she-kit Emberkit. And Brownfeather named the tom Flamekit.

Frosttail gazed outside at the setting sun. Brownfeather had gone on a hunting patrol. She missed him but seeing Oakfur the other day awakened the heartache he had caused three moons ago.

Frosttail rested her head on her paws sadly. Then she thought of that stupid she-cat. She needed to think of a plan of how to get rid of her.

She couldn't get caught.

Frosttail's body tensed with rage as she thought of the pretty tabby. She needed to figure out when Oakfur and Cherrybranch would go out at night.

But first, she needed to wait until her kits were apprentices.

. . .

"Ha! I win!" Flamekit purred triumphantly as he held the moss ball in the air.

"No fair, you have longer legs than me!" Emberkit complained.

Frosttail purred with amusement. "Stop fighting! You're disturbing Squirrelcall and her kits." Frosttail disciplined them. Squirrelcall had given birth to her kits a few days ago.

She had given birth to Shadekit, a black she-kit, and Crowkit, a black tabby tom.

"Sorry, Frosttail," Emberkit murmured.

Flamekit murmured his apology as well.

"It's alright. How about we go out of the den, and play mossball?" Frosttail suggested.

The kits started jumping up and down excitedly, their three moon old legs working hard. Frosttail flung the mossball through the entrance, her kits chasing after it enthusiastically. Frosttail padded after them more slowly.

"Thanks, Frosttail," Squirrelcall thanked her, her red eyes flickering with relief and gratitude.

"No problem," Frosttail called over her shoulder.

She blinked as she stepped out into the sunshine, her eyes adjusting to the bright light. She looked around the clearing lazily. The hot sun beating down on her white fur.

Russetlight, a gray tabby, was sniffing the fresh-kill pile with some curiosity. His mate, Swiftwhisker a black and white small she-cat, bounded to his side.

Some senior warriors were basking in the sunshine on a pile of grass. Swiftsplash, a white tabby tom with brown spots, was sharing tongues with Owlfang. A she-cat with light grey fur with a darker grey stripe down her back and paws.

Frosttail settled down in a batch of sunlight to the side of the nursery. Emberkit and Flamekit squealed excitedly as they chased each other around the clearing. Steering clear of all of the cats legs.

Frosttail's ears pricked as Brownfeather, Wildleaf, and Antpelt padded through the entrance of the camp from a sun-high patrol.

Brownfeather scanned the clearing until his gaze landed on Frosttail. His eyes lit up with affection as he also spotted his two kits. Who were now wrestling each other, the mossball beside them. Brownfeather bounded over to Frosttail.

"Hi!" Frosttail greeted him, reaching up and nuzzling his ear. He nuzzled her cheek.

"Hi, have you eaten yet?" Brownfeather asked, purring.

"Yeah, I ate not too long ago," Frosttail answered, looking back over to the kits. "Emberkit, Flamekit! Brownfeather's back." She called her kits over to her and Brownfeather.

Emberkit and Flamekit looked up, then squealed with excitement once they saw Brownfeather.

They ran up to Brownfeather with exhilaration, purring as they jumped up to lick him.

He purred and licked the top of their heads affectionately.

They circled his feet happily. Emberkit pounced on his tail with excitement.

Brownfeather mock hissed in mock anger, he swung around and gently pinned her on her back. She struggled, squealing frustratedly when she couldn't escape. Flamekit clawed the back of Brownfeather's leg, his claws sheathed.

Frosttail looked away from their playing. There was something else on her mind.

She was thinking of a certain cat.