Chapter 33

"Do you really want to go?" His eyebrows went flat as he tried to dissuade her from the outing. He had been picking up on her inner turmoil all morning. She was strangely nervous.

She was desperate to make a good enough impression so she could be around for her niece or nephew.

Gabe was frowning again as he took in her expression. His keen green eyes missed nothing. She was a jittery mess and it was so clear to see. He on the other hand was as calm as still waters. Just ebbing and going with the flow.

"As opposed to what?"

"Hanging out at home, chilling. Just the two of us. I don't want you stressing over this." 

He was being cautious. Her weekly blood tests were still showing elevated results and her blood pressure was a couple of points higher in the last couple of days.

Gabe was determined to keep her at home and as stress-free as possible. Since school had been out they had hardly left each other's presence. Surprisingly, they hadn't gotten sick of each other yet. Gabe was so easy to be around. Every moment was better than the one before.

"No, don't tempt me, we have to go, it's my brother's love child. Ashley has never ever put a foot wrong in his life. I'd like a front seat to this please."

"You're so petty."

"And you love it."

"I do," Gabe admitted wryly, shaking his head.

"You're still coming with me right?"

"As promised," he said and let out a deep sigh but settled in to watch some TV as Natalia got ready. The screen showed two men facing off across a tennis lawn.

Anytime there was sports on the telly and he happened to be watching he got engrossed in it like it was the most interesting thing in the world. It could be Mongolian cow racing and he'd watch it like he'd been spectating his whole life.

It was a good thing, it meant that she could get ready for as long as she liked at her own pace without him grumbling. Gabe was impatient by nature and didn't understand the process of getting ready. He thought she looked good in anything, if it was up to him, she'd only wash her face and tie up her hair before she went anywhere.

She was nervous, her stomach was in knots. Her belly was up so high these days, the butterflies were somewhere near her throat. She was 6 months and some change but she felt ready to pop at any time.

Gabe wanted to take her away the following week, to spend some time together in a different city, she was dying to go to New Orleans, it had always been on her travel bucket list but the way she was waddling, not sleeping through the night and swelling up everywhere, she knew she'd rather be at home, where she was comfortable.

"I'm ready," she announced when she made her way down the stairs.

Dreased in a short sleeved ribbed maxi T-shirt dress that was so tight it hugged and exaggerated every curve and she loved it. Normally this kind of dress would make her feel self conscious but being pregnant was literally the best excuse to have a fat belly and she was going to take full advantage.

"This is pretty, is it new?"

"Oh, this old thing?"

"Mmm..." he said, twirling her around by her elbow so he could get the full view and then his large hands were on her behind, squeezing and kneading her cheeks until she was sure bruises would form.

"Don't start," Natalia warned.

"Don't start what?" Gabe asked evasively while trapping her between him and the hallway wall.