Chapter 29

Wow, I'm a prick. I had no idea it had been so long since I updated. I'm so sorry! I hope everyone's okay and vaxxed up.
__________________________________________

"Don't you have that thing at school today?"

"Nothing's more important than — "

"I know." She kissed him sharply on the mouth once, and then in quick bursts until he stopped talking and pulled her up against his body. His hands strayed to her backside, their usual resting place whenever he folded her into the comforting planes of his embrace.

"I'll even vlog the whole thing like it's a reality tv show and my urine is the main character if you want."

He glanced at her briefly, the waxing rays of the morning sun gilded the sharp angles of his face and the auburn scruff of his beard, striking a flash of green from one eye and then he was laughing down at her, his face registering a bewildered sense of amusement.

"You're so weird."

Natalia pouted in response, which Gabe took as an invitation to kiss her.

"Come see me when you're back in school," he instructed, touching the side of her face and tugging a curl loose from her messy bun.

"Okay."

"I mean it, I'm not too busy for you."

"Okay. I get it."

He looked sceptical even as he bent down to caress her ever growing belly, and indulge in one of the many secret conversations he had with his child.

"One of these days I'm going to find out what y'all talk about."

"It's classified."

Natalia rolled her eyes, even though he couldn't see them and ran her fingers through the growing strands of Gabe's dark brown locks. He kissed her belly before he stood up and brushed the creases from his dark pressed trousers.

That thing was a TV crew following him around for the second time. The football season had ended on a never seen before high and the local TV station wanted to film a spotlight segment on Gabe and the school. In the afternoon it would be followed by a farewell event for the senior members of the football team. He was dressed up for the occasion, in navy formal trousers that hugged the thick muscles of his thighs and calves, a crisp ivory white shirt, shiny brown shoes and a brown belt.

One thing about military dudes, they knew about dressing impeccably. Natalia was almost sorry to let him out of her sight.

Natalia smoothed out his collar, checking for any transfers of her makeup on his shirt, she wasn't wearing much; just mascara, lip balm and eyebrow pomade but with even just that you couldn't be too sure.

Crazy was an understatement to describe how the past academic year had gone. Natalia  silently thought. The semester was almost finished and she was receiving her degree specialisation in education.

She had passed with distinction, and had everything gone to plan she would have been boarding a flight home to London in mere days. Instead she had a fiancé and a baby on the way. She was rooted in this place like no place elsewhere on this planet.