Chapter 17

"You're calling the dog, Max?"

"Yes, what's the problem?"

"It's the name of a white middle-aged, champagne socialist from Hampstead that drives a four by four in the city with the smallest roads on the planet, not a cute puppy, that's the problem."

Natalia sniggered uncontrollably at Lima's comment, catching Gabe's eye. He gave her an amused look and returned to playing with their new puppy in the garden.

It had barely taken a week to crack him. They had driven to the dog pound after work and had visited with a dog that she had read and watched endless videos about online. He was a hound mix puppy, just about a year old and the cutest thing she'd ever seen, followed very closely by Gabe playing with the puppy as the second cutest thing she'd ever seen.

Gabe had approved of her choice, he said the puppy had a high food motivation so he could train it to be more protective, whatever that meant.

"Tell me more about the wedding."

"Lima, I haven't even begun to think about the wedding. I've only been engaged for like a week."

"And? We need to start thinking about dresses and venues and the guest list. Do you want to come to Paris with me in summer? I'll be looking at some French lace for my new line, we can look for dresses there too. If not we can maybe try Milan."

"I'm not going to fly to Paris for a dress, are you tapped in the head?"

"Don't tell me you want to get one of those ghastly American dresses? Oh my god, I think I'm having an asthma attack..."

"Lima, you're such a snob."

"I'm Black, being snobby is a symptom of white supremacy. I'm just a woman with discerning taste."

Natalia laughed again. "Actually, I think I've found the perfect wedding venue, but Gabe needs to get on board first. It's this old barn that needs conversion work but sis, the cute country vibes are unmatched."

"Send me pics ASAP so I can see. I'll help you put together a mood board so you can convince him."

"I'm going to get my way, I ain't worried about that. It's just a lot of hard work involved." Natalia said confidently, eyeing Gabe's muscular back as he threw a ball for the caramel coloured puppy to fetch.

"Wait, you're not thinking of renovating it yourself are you?" Lima asked sceptically.

"Why not? Gabe's handy with DIY, I could learn and plus we have a long summer ahead of us." The plan had started forming in her head as soon as she had seen the property. She was obsessed and spent all her time watching YouTube videos of other people that had converted barns into amazing, aesthetically pleasing homes.

"You're so mad. This is how all your crazy schemes start. This is how you got me designing dresses."

"Okay and? Did you die? You're on your third collection. First two sold out completely, may I add."

"You're right," Lima conceded. "Maybe I should match your crazy and do your wedding dress?"

Natalia gasped. "You would?"

"Bitch, I'm dying to!"

"Oh my god." They both screamed excitedly. The puppy came running over to see what the noise was all about, barking and jumping around where Natalia was seated in the garden. He had a serious case of FOMO and was always looking for the next thrill.

"He's so cute," Lima said from the iPhone screen. "But if you let that dog slobber on your face and eat from your plates I'm disowning you."

Natalia laughed. "That's not my bag at all, tell your friend," she told Lima flipping the camera over so Gabe was in the frame.