Part 9

"Are you expelled?" I ask Peter anxiously as he comes out of the Principals office.

"Do you have to go to that school where the principal has a crossbow?" Ned cuts in. 

"Pretty sure that's an urban myth." Peter states, turning to me. "And no I'm not expelled."

"Thank god. I thought I'd be suck with Ned forever." I joke. He didn't laugh, he seemed still really upset about the whole Stark Internship.

That sadness didn't go away.

In the next week and a bit we hung out more. We had movie nights again. Study sessions at his place. He became more open to my new appearance. He started getting better in class, paying attention more. It was like everything was back to normal between us. But it wasn't. The Stark Internship meant a lot to him, I knew that before, but I didn't realise how much. I felt bad how hard I was on him before, it was obviously extremely important to him. He was miserable. 

"So, homecomings coming up. Are you gonna ask Liz?" I ask Peter as he puts his books in his locker. I had heard Betty, Liz and Seymour playing a game of fuck, marry, kill the other day. Liz had enthusiastically said Peter's name to marry, admitting to her friends she had a crush on him. Although this conversation would pain me, I thought it might at least make Peter feel better.

"What? No, are you crazy?" 

"Why not?"

"Because she'll obviously say no." He laughs.

"You don't know that for sure. Look here she comes." I push him in front of her.

"Uh, hey Peter." She says, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear. Peter looks over to me for help, I mouth 'go on'. "What's up?"

"Um, Liz. Hey." He stumbles, surely he was smoother than this? "I was just wondering, I mean I'm sure you do, but I was wondering if you had a-a date? To homecoming?"

"Actually, I was so busy planning it, I never really got around to that part, so no." She smiles.

I discreetly give him a thumbs up, willing him to keep going. Ignoring the pain in my heart. 

I could tell he was sweating. "Uh, then, would you maybe want to go, with me?"

"Yeah, sure."

"Really?" He sighs deeply. "I mean, uh, great. Cool." 

"Cool. I'll see you later." She leaves down the hall.

"That a boy." I punch his shoulder. "I knew you could do it."

"Y-yeah. Should be, uh, should be fun." He's still nervous. "You and Ned should also come, MJ too. It could be like a group thing?"

"You just want us there as back up." I laugh. 

"No, I mean-"

"It's fine Peter, I'll ask them. I'm sure at least Ned will come." The bell interrupts. "I'll see you there."

--

"I don't get it, if you like Peter then why'd you essentially prostitute him out to Liz?" MJ asks, we were getting in my room. I had to trade her my access to the restricted section of the library in order to convince her to go tonight.

"I wouldn't put it like that, I just wanted him to be happy again, you know? He's been so down since he lost the Stark Internship." I frown, struggling with my winged eye liner. 

"You mean since he got fired from being Spider Man?"

"You still believe that?" I groan.

"Pretty coincidental that Spider Man stopped showing up the day Peter lost the internship." She shrugged.