Part 14

Hahahaha sorry for disappearing for a month lol anyway

And that's how it worked.

We'd meet at that spot after school and spend the evening fighting crime, helping citizens and protecting the city. We became such a great and powerful duo that the crime rate went down substantially, criminals not even daring to snatch a purse because they knew we'd be right behind them.

That of course meant that we had a lot of time waiting around aimlessly, together. And Peter was never one for awkward silences.

"How come you still won't tell me who you actually are?" He sighs, attempting this subject once again. "I mean we've been working together for nearly 3 months now and I don't even know your name?"

We'd set up camp in our usual spot, Peter had fashioned us both hammocks out of web like he usually did, which was a nice addition to the fairy lights we put up and supplies like blankets and first aid kits we had for when we needed it. It was homey and comfortable. We'd have many late night chats here. It would almost make me forget how Spider Man and Peter were the same person. Almost.

Nothing had changed at school. Peter was still treating me like the scum of the Earth. Having to critique everything I said, in class or at lunch. Rolling his eyes and walking away when he saw me approaching the lockers, even if he was in the middle of a conversation with Ned. Even once shoulder barging me in the hallway. That broke me. Ned scolded him for that one, yet Peter swore he didn't do it on purpose. It didn't matter, it killed me that there were no remnants of the guy I once called my best friend.

Except there was.

Like I said, I kinda trained myself to view Peter and Spider Man as separate people. Which was easy enough given how different they were. Spider Man was sweet, even acted like the old Pete, and I could even talk to and confide in him like old times. Like when one day Peter's douchebag behaviour got too much for me and I showed up to patrol a bit of a mess, choking back tears and insisting I was fine.

"You don't seem fine." He placed a gloved hand on my shoulder.

"It's nothing. Just- forget it." I sniffle. "It's stupid."

"Hey, hey now. It's not stupid. You know you can talk to me about anything right?" His white masked eyes bored into mine. And before I even know what I was doing my hands had interlocked behind his back and I buried my face in the crook of his neck, he reciprocated by giving me a tight squeeze and pulling me closer into his chest. The familiarity of it made it hurt more, he used to hug me like this anytime I was sad. I held on tighter, my tears dripping onto his suit. We stayed like that for quite a while, him softly rubbing his hands across my back and I just trying to pretend he was still my Peter.

"Split?" He calls, sapping me out of my thoughts. "Did you hear what I said?"

"Y-yeah, sorry." I mumble.

"Why won't you tell me who you are?" He repeats.

"Spides." I sigh in frustration. "I just can't okay. I'm sorry."

"It's not like I'm going to hurt you or anything if I know you in real life. I'm not like him." He tries to persuade. I grimace, oh boy if only you knew.

The night he hugged me and let me cry into his chest I let out everything I had been bottling up. Changing names and a few details, I recounted to him how shit my ex best friend 'Paul' was treating me and how I felt as though I could break down every time he looks at me with disgust and hatred, compared to how we used to be. Even going as far to tell him how I was actually in love with him and at one point I thought maybe he was too.