Chapter 3: Dreaming

The water in the bathroom drowned out the small sobs. She needed to stop. Esme looked into the mirror, great... I'm starting to look like a frog. She dried laugh, "I'm a joke." She checked her phone's clock, 1 p.m., she only had five minutes before the bell; I lied to my friends again. Her stomach growled reminding her that she didn't eat lunch, she ignored it.

Mrs. Corwell's words rang in her head, 'I'm disappointed Esmerelda Blythe. A star student from Bridgeworth Academy like you should stop treating school as a joke and truly put in effort. Your academic background doesn't mean I will be lenient to such pretentious people like you. Your excuses won't work here. Your brother was a better student and person without such esteem background.'

That place was a living nightmare. She can clearly hear their mocking laughter as they took photos of her vulnerability.  Esme gritted her teeth and covered her ears while shutting her eyes, make it stop. The bell rang. She splashed water on her face again and left to her second to last class, it's just a bad day. It's just another day. I will be fine. I will be fine. I have to be fine.

-+-

He awakened in a field of flowers. It was night. The full moon made the flowers glow. He got up and stretch his limbs. His ear perked to any sound. He heard a rustle in the distance and looked over at the direction of the noise. He sees another like him. This wolf had golden fur. He approached the golden wolf looking at the moon.

He lowly barked.

The wolf ignored him.

He barked.

She still ignored him.

He lowly whined then loudly barked.

The wolf ear's perked, she slightly turned to him; but then, returned looking at the moon.

Finally, he sat next to the wolf and joining her in the moon watching. She had a pleasant scent relaxing him. He was a fool. When he looked over, the wolf met him with a somber gaze, he knew those eyes. His piercing blue eyes lost in her emerald green ones. He could see the golden hues in them, but they lost their shimmer. His heart clenched.

He awoke on the couch in the study room. The sun shined through the small crept of the curtains. He raised his hand to block the sun's rays and sat up.

He noticed his coat blanketing him and felt his book under it, must of fell asleep reading. He combs his gloveless fingers through his messy ash hair, fate is teasing me again.

The dream of the mysterious golden wolf. The same one that plagued him for days the closer they approached this city. Last night was different, he dreamt of the himself dancing with the mysterious girl.

Not even a damn day here and this calling gets stronger. The wolf and her are the same. She is here. Not that's it my concern.

Her somber gaze contrast with the warmth she had in his arms the previous night and that haunted him. He grunted; I didn't make this damn villa here to bed someone insignificant. The pack's power is all I need. Her beauty looking at the moon, her suffering, her scent warped into his mind. He infuriatingly chucked the book across the room.

He heard a knock, "Enter."

His companion Loz entered, "Boss Adel, we finished the cleanup. Found these files in a false drawer of the office desk." He handed Adel the documents folder.

Adel flipped through the papers, "So there are some supplies of the corpses here. The bastard did tell the truth. Too bad he is dead now." He smirked, "Get the others ready, we search the abandon distillery tonight. Tell Jax to prepare the meals as well, we should at least have the energy for the long night."

"Sir!" Loz saluted, but his eye grew concern, "Everything is alright sir?" Loz discreetly pointed to his eye.

"Hm?" Adel wiped away a stray tear from his eye, so this is her pain. His eyes narrowed as he examined his moist finger, another plague I have to deal with.

-+-

The last bell rang signaling the end of the school day. Again, the restroom's sink was running. Esme rinsed her face again.

She checked the mirror; well the swelling went a little bit down. She pulled out her phone, 4 p.m., and three new messages, "Oh right, Stacey must have been worried." She sighed, "I can just tell her my phone was off and I was talking to Ms. Baxton about Computer Science." She looked at the mirror, "Sorry Stacey, I was talking to Ms. Baxton about Computer Science. I want to know more about computer that has science..." She dropped her shoulders, "Yeah right. She will see it's bullshit."

Esme hosted her backpack and exited the restroom. She made her way down the hall leading to the other side of campus to get to the club room. She reached the corner she needed to turn and collided with someone.

She landed on her butt and her backpack fell off, "I'm sorry!"

"Oh shit, Esme. It was my fault." The blonde young man helped her off the hallway floor.

She blinked in shock, "T-Theo..."

He winked at her, "The one and only." He quickly grabbed her backpack and handed it to her, "What'cha doing?"

He's smiling at me, Esme found the ground more interesting in front of her crush. She pulled one of her bangs behind her ear, "Just heading to the club."

"Oh right, the G.I.F.T. club."

She shyly smiled, "Yep. The one and only."

There was a paused between them.

Esme swallowed and Theo coughed, "So-" "I-"

They laughed.

Theo signal his hand to her, "You go first."

He was always kind to me ever since I came to this school. I will miss him next year, she finally looked at him more confidently, "What are you doing here aren't the seniors excuse for this week for graduation?"

Theo grinned, "Oh you know. Walking down memory lane. Saying goodbye to people, maybe a special one."

It can't be me. Is it? Her heart pounded in her ears, "Oh really? Um... Well..." She coughed, "How's the prep for graduation? Wait, did you get your gown? I think the school office is still open. Mr. McDonny can help you really quickly and-"

He smoothly puts his arm around her, "How about this, I escort you pretty flower down to the club and I tell all my graduation planned escapades, sounds good?" He began to lead her.

She shifted a bit under his arm as Theo escorted her down the hallway; Stacey will understand. I'm just talking with Theo... I mean he is... a friend... She nodded, "I guess... you already."

"Great, this weekend there is a party at my place. I invited some college buddies over for the seniors to mingle with, you should come. Some are from that well-known University from downtown L.A."

"Well known? Oh, you mean USC."

"Yeah, that one."

"Um... I have to ask my parents. Even though it's not a school night, I..."

"Well, I have your solution. You can bring over Stacey and the others. You guys are the new seniors."

"I will think about it."

He chuckled, "I will take some hope in that."