Chapter 7: The Chase

Stacey and Tim spotted Esme and Emma up ahead.

Esme noticed them and waved, "Oh there you guys are. We finished our side. And it's not haunted- Hey, what's wrong?"

Tim stuttered, "M-m-mon-"

Emma grimaced, "Um, is Tim choking?"

Stacey shoved everything into Tim's backpack. She grabbed Esme and Emma's wrists, "We should get going."

Esme tilted her head while being pulled, "What do you mean Stacey?"

Stacey shook her head, "Like leave now, now."

Emma scoffed and broke out of Stacey's grip, "Not before we grabbed a document from the office for the newspaper club, I'm sure they would like it."

Stacey tried to grab Emma again, "No! Dammit! There is no time."

Emma swatted Stacey's hand, "Sure there is. We just have to bust the door." She ran upstairs to the room, "Come on!"

"No!"

They all tried to restrained Emma, but she kicked the door. This caused them to crash into each other and barged into the office and greeted with a group of men coming out of the hidden office. Both parties stood still on the opposite sides, the men cautiously glared and they growled under their breath while the high schoolers' eyes bulged out in shock.

Esme nose smelled the fresh scent again, only more intensely, it's the fresh citrus shampoo smell!  Her eyes scanned the faces in front of her before she briefly made eye contact with a pair of blue eyes,  I think it's from him. Where have I seen him before?

Adel spotted a familiar pair of emerald eyes, that girl... Her scent intoxicated him again. His whole being knowing, this is her. The one he almost reached and desperately wanted to speak to in his dream, then only awakening in the lone room of his gray reality. This time I will claim her, Adel signaled his posse, "Get them."

Before his men could move towards them, something crashed through the ceiling. The dust cleared and revealed a mutated monster with hyper-extended limbs. The mortified high schoolers bolted out the same way they came in causing the monster clicking turned into a screech and chase after them.

Adel gritted his teeth, "Kill that thing!"

His pack prepared to chase when the ceiling shattered with more mutated things fling themselves towards them. The pack dodged while managing to exit the room.

Adel examined the area; he spotted the teenagers being chased by more of those things. He growled, she's in trouble, can't she fight?  He shook his head, "Protect those humans."

The pack senses sharpened, "Sir!" They rapidly charged at the monsters. The teens dodged the monsters but separated in the process. One of the monsters chased after Esme who ran through one of the hallway doors. Adel stomach churned, no!  Without a second thought, he dodged an incoming monster and chased after the pursued Esme.

"Esme!" Was all she heard when she got separated from her friends.

Esme ran through the hallway, passing some old racks. She tried to throw as many as them down to slow down her pursuers. She found herself at the storage area again. She paused for a moment frantically looking for a place to hide. She heard a bang behind her and she made her way down the basement stairs.

The monster followed her downstairs. It growled a clicking sound while it searched for her. She hid behind a barrel holding her breath petrified. Until something grabbed her, she yelped, but a hand quickly covered her mouth.

Esme heard a husk voice whispered next to her ear, "Shh..." It was the owner of the fresh scent.

She couldn't see his face in the darkness, but she knew it was him. He protectively wrapped an arm around her. Every touch was like a spark of electricity and butterfly in her stomach, who is he? She calmed a bit and lightly put her hand on the arm that wrapped around her.

She here with me, like it should be. Adel eyes narrowed; my instincts are taking over. He took a moment to check the surrounding, the thing still lurked. He felt her shivered in fear, I wish I can just hold her and let her know she's safe with me. He shook his head, dammit... she shouldn't matter. A part of him wants to leave her, but the other part desperately wants to protect her with his whole being. His eyes caught sight of a small pebble. He briefly lets her go to flick the rock to a barrel. The thing heard the noise and chased after it. Then Adel lightly pulled Esme away to lead her to another part of the distillery.

His hands were interlocked tightly with hers. Esme observed the mysterious boy guiding her. Her heart beats with excitement with her whole being yelling 'This is him!'

Who is he? Is he with those monsters? Esme noticed that he didn't look that much older than her. In fact, he was taller than her by a head. He's like the one from my dreams.

His light tan skin complimented his jet-black hair that was slick to the side. His attire was formal, but what baffled her was his ability to move quickly without breaking a sweat. Compare to him, she looks like a country bumpkin huffing and sweating.

Is he a prince? Hmm... Maybe more like a knight. Or maybe... Her eyes trailed to the most peculiar feature of the man, His eyes... The light from the moon illuminated them to a piercing blue, so pretty... Her cheeks warmed, snap out of it Esme... He suddenly pulled her into another room and she squeaked.

He held her close as he stroked her back, "Shhh... They will hear us."

Her face flushed as she felt her hands pressed against his chest, he's strong... She shook her head; This guy is just helping out, this guy is just helping out Her lips felt chapped, "Sorry..." She softly muttered. My life is danger! I shouldn't be thinking this. What's wrong with me?

He smirked, "So, you can talk. At least I'm not talking to a wall."

She puffed her cheeks, "Right back you."

He lightly chuckled, "Is that a challenge?"

She felt his tone chest vibrate under her hand, Woah, he's strong. She looked away from his chest as her cheeks reddened, "Maybe..."

Adel smirked again as her head turned away from him, but his ear caught her heartbeat. Her heartbeat sped up. Is she excited? How interesting...

Esme tensed when she heard a piece of metal drop in the distance, are those monsters coming back?

Adel pulled her in closer. He lifted her face towards his own to look into her anxious eyes. Without a second thought he uttered, "I will protect you." His determination solidifies seeing her nod at his declaration, he began closing the gap between them. He realizing his action he quickly pulled back and looked away from her. Shit... I want her more. What's wrong with me?  He clicked his tongue, "Let's keep moving."

Esme frowned, Did he not want to? No, what am I thinking? Why am I disappointed? I should be glad he didn't. She let out a small sigh, "Okay."

He eyebrow twitched at her sad eyes. Adel gentle pulled guided her and interlock his hand with hers. His actions betrayed his conflicting thoughts. They shared an unspoken trust for the rest of the way. A peaceful quiet.

The pair made arrived the storage. Adel had released Esme's hand for a moment, when he saw metal something that aligned with the office.

His hand glided the metal and examined it, Blood... Then those things were responsible for the corpses. They will pay for what they did. His fists clenched tightly to contain his burning anger.

Meanwhile, Esme looked around the area until her eyes landed upon an odd-looking giant glass tube, what is that? She approached closer to the tube reaching the decaying ceiling. Its like something for a Sci-Fi movie. Who am I kidding? She lightly wiped the dusty glass and shined her cellphone light. The light revealed a grotesque enlarged face. What the-She yelped.

Adel whipped his head around to see his girl jumping away from the massive tube. He heard a creek from above. He spots a giant piece break off and fell.