Chapter 4: Preparing the Investigation

In the villa, Adel shattered the glass in his hand while eating with the rest of the group.

Alarmed by the shattering sound, his pack mates apprehensively stared at him.

He ignored the concerned glances as he stared at his hand. A foreboding feeling stirred inside him, the one where someone touched what's his, how annoying.

His mind wandered to the dream of him dancing with other half under the moonlight. The warmth in his arms, his sense of protectiveness, and his possessiveness to not have anyone but himself indulge in her. He preferred this one than the one from his nap. He snapped himself back to reality and clicked his tongue.

My appetite is gone. He got up from his seat, "Clean this up. I will be taking a walk in the garden. We will run through the plans for the distillery when I return."

They stood from their seats and bowed to him, "Sir!"

When Adel exited the room, they waited around a few moments before whispering amongst each other.

Rollo paced to the seat his boss sat in, he began picking up the pieces of shattered glass on a napkin clothe, "Is master Adel well?"

Loz followed after and picked up the dishes, "Not sure Rollo, I went to report our findings earlier. He seemed fine, but then-" Loz paused, I never saw the boss like that. The other three waited for his answer, while they proceeded to clean the dining table. Loz chose his next words carefully, "I think he aware that his other half is near."

Jax halted stacking the glasses, "Boss's mate is near?"

Loz nodded briefly, "It's only my speculation. However, he has been experiencing odd quirks today."

The group finally grabbed the rest of the dishes and headed to the kitchen.

Fern balanced his load while he walks, "Well Loz, enlighten us with these quirks."

Loz flicked the lights on, illuminating the master-graded chef kitchen, and placed the piled dishes on the side of the sink, "When we arrived this morning, he said he wanted to stop by one of those human markets."

Jax gagged, "Oh those places are gross. The other day, Fern and I went to one to stocked on supplies before your arrival at the villa today. It's overwhelming on our senses."

Fern turned on the sink, rinsing the dishes, "Jax I told you before, it's natural for us to be like that. We haven't adjusted to the new environment yet."

Loz grunted, "It's not that Fern, he's un-phased by that. He went straight to the produce section and stared at the strawberries."

They all stopped what they are doing, staring at Loz in disbelief, "Strawberries?"

Rollo blinked, "Why didn't you tell me before Loz? I could of assist."

Loz shook his head, "Rollo, you were off getting the stuff for the mansion raid."

"Fair point."

Loz sighed, "In the car after we wrecked the black marketer's mansion, the boss was eating a bowl of strawberries he took from the kitchen."

Rollo rubbed his chin, "Now that you mention it, master Adel does not eat sweets. Rarely does he eat them if any presented to him."

Jax dried a washed dish Fern handed him, "Huh, really? Well, I guess because you're a Beta and Gamma you know the boss's likes."

Fern shuts off the water, "Jax, what they are hinting at is that the boss's Alpha is reacting to his mate's prefer cravings. In vice versa, his mate probably exhibits the same cravings according to the Alpha's preference. If he is experiencing this now, that means he had been aware of her scent and was unconsciously looking for her." Jax mouth open to say something but Fern continued, "I am the healer's apprentice, of course I know everything about our kind. It's my duty to serve the Alpha to the end."