Chapter 13 [SWQ]

March 6, 2011 (3:25pm)

Teachers-

I really hate homework. It's bad enough that we get Monday quizzes and tests, but if you give us homework, too, then it makes our weekends suck. I mean, this might be the reason a bunch of kids are so stressed out. Take that into to consideration sometimes. By not giving us weekend homework, you could be SAVING LIVES!

Thanks,

Student

How'd you like that^?? Well, I thought it was good. Whatever, onto the next chapter... if I ever finish my homework. [ And don't worry. I'm not suicidal.]

________________________

Dani's P.O.V.

I was immortal. When the blackness consumed me, I knew I wasn't dead, but it could still hurt me. I could get as hurt as much as anyone could, but I wouldn't die. The fire hurt. It's smoke filled my lungs and burned them.

As much as I wished I hadn't gone back into the hotel room, I knew I had to. I couldn't leave the picture behind. It was all I had left of my parents. Well, not all I have left of them.

Ryan has most of their things in storage, but this one was special. It was mine and my favorite thing I had of them. All it was was a picture of them in an old, worn picture frame. All together, it was probably world two dollars and fifty cents. To me, it was priceless.

Jace's voice broke through to me, then. "Dani," he whispered. "Baby, please wake up. Please open your eyes." I could feel his soft touch on my face. My eyes squeezed tighter, before I opened them. He was looking down at me. I gave him a small smile.

"Hey," I said in a hoarse voice. I cleared my throat. Jace smiled and kissed me before wrapping his arms around me. He took a deep breath and inhaled my scent.

"I'm so glad you're okay," he said softly.

I rolled my eyes. "I'm immortal. I'm fine."

"Good," he said as he pulled back. He glared at me. "Because you are in a lot of trouble." Here we go. "What the hell were you thinking?! Going back into a flaming room! You could've been trapped in there and then people would've questioned as to why you weren't dead! Dani, you need to be more responsible!"

"I know," I said. "I'm sorry that I took that risk. I'm sorry I worried you, but I had to go back. Wait, where is it?" I asked as my eyes tore across the whole room.

We were in what I guessed to be another hotel room. It was smaller than the other one and not nearly as nice, but it would do for now. I watched as Jace opened the drawer of the nightstand and took out the picture frame. He handed it to me.

"I understand why you went back," he said quietly."But I really wish you hadn't done it."

At least he understands. I reached out to him and hugged him again. "Thank you."

"Tokala did it," he said.

I pulled back and looked at him. "What? How do you know?"

"Just look at the facts, Dani. The fire started in our room the first night we came here. He's here, too. He sent us a warning."

"All I want is for you to be safe and for this to be over," I told him as I snuggled into his chest.  "I shouldn't have ran away that day. If I didn't, then none of this would be happening."

"But if you didn't, we would still have all the rouges running around and killing people. Things were supposed to happen this way, Dani. We're helping to save our pack and our world," Jace said kissing my forehead.