Chapter Seventy

Constructive criticism is welcome

this is a longer one. Mostly dialog

Shortly before having to judge the two people—perhaps three— that are sitting in our cells, I'm standing in Decius's chambers. He has a hand around my nape.

"You'll be fine, you know that right?" He's speaking softly.

Kiss me? Hmm. I wonder why I want that. It's been a while . "Of course. Realistically, anyways... I have something for you, when this is done."

His thumb moves back and forth behind my ear. "Alright. You know you don't need to give me a gift, right?"

Please? "Then, it isn't a gift. One is for both of us, anyways." My neck twitches as I shiver. "It's cold up here."

"Yeah. There's a reason I keep falling asleep in the office. It's Solas's fault too. Maybe I'll get the mages to enchant the floor."

"Heated floors sound nice. Get Solas to enchant it. I bet he knows how to without lyrium. You can ask him yourself though. Later, tomorrow night, when I'm not so drained, I'm going to try that thing I mentioned back at the Approach. Solas is picking up mental speech quickly now. He almost had it the other day."

"Good. Do you need me to be there?"

"I think that'd be best. I've never done it before."

"It'll be fine. Don't make yourself nervous. Anything you want before we go down?"

I step forward and wrap my arms around him. "Yes, but this is fine. I haven't... said anything about... Solas thinks we're friends. Which is what I told them because—"

"It's not like we're dating."

"No, but we're not just friends either."

"If he doesn't understand, is he worth it?"

"Natürlich nicht! It's just... QPRs were uncommon enough back home. What are they here?"

"We're strangers here. Everyone knows that. Besides, Solas isn't a regular Thedosian. So what is it you want?" He presses his nose to my temple.

I step back, not really looking at him. "Kiss me?"

Decius hums and probably smiles, "all you had to do was ask, schatz."

~~

Josephine starts walking towards me, a group of guards following. "You recall Gereon Alexius from Tevinter. Ferelden has given him to us as an acknowledgement of your aid. The formal charges are: apostasy, attempted enslavement, and attempted assassination—on your own life, no less." She stops off to the side, "Tevinter has disowned and stripped him of his rank. You may judge the former magister as you see fit."

Why is apostasy a crime? "Thank you, Ambassador. Alexius, do you have anything to say in your defense?"

Alexius tilts his head, "I couldn't save my son. You think my fate matters to me? You've won nothing. The people you saved, the acclaim you've gathered—you'll lose it all in the storm to come. Render your judgement, Inquisitors."

"This is one duty I hold alone. There is no partnership between the Inquisitors in this. It would be a shame to waste your abilities. You are an intelligent man. After all, you created a degree of time magic. Studying the arcane is your specialty. I would like you to work with the mages here. Aid them in their magical studies.

"In accordance with the apostasy charge, your contacts, knowledge, and coin will go towards aiding our mages. Grand Enchanter Nolla and Lady Fiona will be responsible for you, you'll begin when they are ready. I would say, this is the harshest term I'm laying out; I don't want you to have access to any thing that could be used to harm yourself outside of the designated hours where you'll work."