chapter twenty-six

DECIUS POV

"Liebling. " I say.

"What is it?"

"How long have you been up?"

"You know I don't know the answer." she glances over at Solas, who's beginning to drift off on his horse but is still aware of our conversation. "Time travel will do that."

"How about we stop here for a bit."

"We need to get back to Haven. I'm sure they're all on the edges of their seats, waiting to hear that we died horribly."

I chuckle. "I'm sure. At least they're being truthful about how they feel."

"Yeah. At least there's that."

"Let me drive for a bit."

"Alright."

Thalia ( since when did I start thinking of her as Thalia? ) stops our horse and Solas'. After Thalia hops off, I slide forward in the saddle and offer her a hand. Before she takes it, she grabs the reins from Solas.

______________

A few hours later at the slow pace that was set when we started, Solas starts to wake.

He stretches his arms above his head. "Do you know how close we are? To Haven?"

"I think I can see Redcliffe castle, so we should be there tomorrow evening at the latest."

Solas' back cracks as he finishes stretching. He goes to say something but pauses for a moment. "What is she humming?"

"Hm? I hadn't noticed. Probably praying. Song is easiest for her, talking is easiest for me. To each their own I suppose."

"You are Andrastian then?"

"No. Not in the slightest. In my youth, perhaps it was something like that, going to... chantries with my parents. I know her parents were Andrastian but they didn't push that on her... she believes in one thing, I believe in a variation of the same concept. "

"What would those beliefs be?"

"Something akin to the Chaisined, I think. Maybe a mixture of those beliefs and that of the Dalish? However wrong or right those are."

"What do you mean? However wrong those are?"

He's good at keeping his composure. But I suppose any centuries old being would be.

"Cultural evolution. The clans being so widespread and so old, some things are bound to be different. I mean, every story stems from some truth, especially myths, but stories change with age, with every retelling, and with the introduction of different cultures, no matter how hard one tries. Isn't that right, dear Wolf?"

"I suppose it is, yes." A beat of silence, then, "why do you both call me that?"

"Wolf? Mannerisms perhaps. Maybe your necklace. Personality. One will never know."

"Meaning I will never know. If I may, what exactly do you believe?"

"How many theisms do you have? Or rather, how many do you in particular know? With examples, if you would."

"Monotheism for the andrastians. Polytheism for the dalish. Pantheism for the Avaar. Atheism for those who don't believe in any god."

"Those are the basic concepts. While I am polytheistic, I have a pantheistic point of view. Which is where the two of us differ. I haven't noticed my gods having a problem with my way of thinking or with hers so, neither of us care about the difference. Not that we would either way. Polytheism is so fluid anyways."

I hear from behind me, "That's an understatement."

"You awake, then?"

"Was never asleep. Thinking."

Solas frowns. "I suppose I see what he meant by punishment, now."

"You didn't understand when He said so? Aren't you supposed to be smart?"

"That was rude, Lu." I say.

I feel her reach for my mind, "How did Solas know to come anyway? "

" I sent for him. Didn't want to bother you during the mages. "

" If we want things to go well, we'll have to tell them about one of us having magic at some point."

"I agree. We have enough skills to keep them at bay. The templars and any curious mage in our party."

" You'd have to deal with it. Technically I don't need sleep. "

" I wasn't referring to visitors in the fade. "

She shoots up from leaning against my back. " You seriously don't think they would do that, do you? "

"What is the matter, Herald?" Solas asks, at her reaction. 

"Just a thought I had. Can I ask you a question?"

"Of course. I can't guarantee any answers though."

"Is there magic that allows someone to enter another's mind? Without the use of blood magic that is."

"Where is this coming from?"

"Yes or no?"

"The ancient elves had spells that would allow them to enter someone's mind. If there is such a spell today, it would be difficult without stooping blood magic."

Fuck.

"That's not good. I can't shield your mind and I don't know if my own would hold. " then, aloud, "That's something. I assume it was used for extracting information. I wonder if such a spell would hurt the target's mind."

"I wouldn't imagine it would be kind."

" We'd best do what we can so that doesn't happen. " I respond. 

"I don't expect an answer for this one but, would it be possible to block a spell like that?"

"Not without magical means, I'd expect. Or unusually strong will."

Didn't everyone in Elvhenan have magic to some degree though? How successful would those have been? So many missing variables.

"Thank you, Solas, for indulging me." She puts her forehead on the middle of my back and privately says, " He totally would. He would force his way into our minds and I just gave him the idea. "

I look over my shoulder. She's afraid. Something unusual for her, someone so confident in their actions, even if she fakes it sometimes.

Oh.

She'd feel like she's failed me.

Even though she can't help if anything happens.

Even though I wouldn't blame her.

A/N; there are some minor changes between this chapter and the one on ao3