chapter twenty

Decius walked into the cabin when I was halfway finished with the list. He had looked over what I had written down, added some more details, and then gave input on what we should do. He was lying on his back on the bed.

"The list is done, the letter to Barris is done, now we wait. I think this is by far the worst part of any job."

"You just say that because all your job was, was sitting around and waiting."

"Like yours was any better. You drained people of blood and replaced it with resin."

"I did not. I was an undertaker. Not an embalmer. Different training is involved. I'll talk to the requisition's officer and the alchemist tomorrow for some better fabric."

"What makes you think Adan will have better fabric?"

"Would the blacksmith? Look, we're not going to have much time here. We aren't going to find anything better than a linen shirt while traveling. Who would you suggest?"

"Solas?"

"Why would he have long, soft, waterproof fabric?"

"I don't know. I just... want to be done here. The castle is so much bigger, will have access to more resources. And honestly? So far, this has been a total shit show."

"You don't need to tell me twice. I'm the Herald, they don't trust me at all. How can they make me Inquisitor? You're not any more trusted. They didn't even try to convince you not to try to talk to the templars. Why would they make you the Inquisitor?"

"I guess between now and closing the Breach, we need to do what we can to help people here. Build up rapport. Increase morale. They usually like the Herald. I don't know why this time is different."

"It's probably my fault. I killed the Blades of Hessarian, I argue with them."

Decius sits up and silence fills the space for a few minutes. "I come off as rude. As usual."

"Well, as you said, 'not all of us have had a pleasant life'. You're allowed to just... be. You shouldn't have to put on a show."

"I should be telling you that. I wasn't the one that—"

"That shouldn't matter."

"I... I know. I just—I suppose I want to move forward with this as well."

He gives me a small smile and opens his arms, "come here. I think we could both use a nap. What do you think?"

_______________________

We spent the next week getting supplies in order (finding the entrance to the mine, finding the spot near the trebuchet, and then securing those supplies), asking around for cotton swatches and linseed oil, training with the soldiers, setting the advisers up with some small tasks, and talking with some of the companions, smoothing things over with them.

The last day of the week, we took a gander around Haven, mostly to see the progress on the trebuchets. There was a larger table set up by the chantry with food for everyone on it.

"Why is that table there? In front of the chantry?" I asked when we were starting to make our way back.

"It's the Solstice. Your birthday. Don't you remember?"

"Right. I never specified if it was on or around the Solstice. I hope the amounts of food is for the celebration. Not for my birthday."

"Who knows. Hey, we could sing?"

"Sing what?"

"I was thinking Hallelujah. It's easy enough. And just the right amount of religious."

"Fine. You get to start though."

We got to a large bonfire where a bunch of people were gathered around. Decius got their attention and explained that we wanted to sing them a song.

"I heard there was a secret chord

That David played and it pleased the Lord

But you don't really care for music, do ya?

Well it goes like this, the fourth, the fifth

The minor fall and the major lift

The baffled king composing Hallelujah"

Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah

"Well your faith was strong but you needed proof

You saw her bathing on the roof

Her beauty and the moonlight overthrew ya

She tied you to her kitchen chair

She broke your throne and she cut you hair

And from your lips she drew the Hallelujah"

Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah

"Baby I've been here before

I've seen this room, I've walked this floor

You know, I used to live alone before I knew ya"

And I've seen your flag on the marble arch

And love is not a victory march

It's a cold and it's a broken Hallelujah

Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah

"Well there was a time when you let me know

What's really going on below

But now you never show that to me, do ya?

But remember when I moved in you?

And the holy dove was moving too"

And every breath, we drew was Hallelujah

Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah

"Well maybe there's a god above

But all I've ever learned from love

Was how to shoot somebody who outdrew ya

And it's not a cry you hear at night"

It's not somebody who's seen the light

It's a cold and it's a broken Hallelujah

Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah