As always [1]

My parents argued back and forth, and I didn't want to know the reason. My anxiety was peeking, so I just put on my earbuds and listened to music so their shouting didn't bother me so much.

I could hear them through the music, but still tried to calm down.

I couldn't concentrate between the music and the argument, and sometimes I would catch frases, or just the yelling in general.

It was awful.

They never really leave the house. This arguments were the ones they had at home, while eating, or just in the middle of the night.

It felt like the entire house was sound proofed, or something, because the neighbors never asked me if I was ok, or heard the shouting and crash of the new broken bottles.

My parents wanted to hold a reputation. They were mysterious, but 'nice' to everyone, and for some reason the neighbors seemed to love them.

They would drop the facade only second after we would get home, and usually would start screaming until either they saw me or I did a sound.

It would only go downhill from there.

I was mute because of it. Kinda.

It was just a lot to take in, as they had never done it on public. I was scared one of them would do something they regretted, so I started walking faster and faster as I mumbled to myself all the 'What ifs' I could think of.

My mother was shouting at my father for leaving her to walk behind her. She wanted them to be "on the same level".

She pulled him back by the shirt and they walked shouting at each other every time the other went ahead of them.

I just wanted to get out of there.

In a moment, my mother, furious, shouted at me.

-HEY MARK, YOU FUCKING BRAT, DON'T WALK INFRONT OF YOUR MOTHER!-

My father told her not to bring me in, which I wa thankful for, until he pulled me in by the wrist (which hurt like hell) and started walking a bit faster.

My mother went crazy, and now, I was standing between my too parents, in between their fight.

And I knew if I didn't get out of there I would get caught in the crossfire.

I looked at the floor, tears were forming.

I saw my shoe laces were untied, so I stopped and tried them.

They were so fixated in their arguing they didn't even looked back, nor stopped to wait for me.

My shoe laces were too long, and I kept stepping on them while walking.

Every time I stopped, they just kept walking, and I had to keep up.

I didn't know if I wanted to keep up, because when we eventually get home, I would be the punching bag for my father, and the maid to my mother.

As always.