Michael [10]

I was walking through the woods. My walk through the park made me lose a lot of time to get to the Kindergarten, so I had to go through the shortcut.

I didn't really care if I was getting pricked by bushes or poked in the arms by the trees when I ran past.

If I was late, there would be consequences.

It was a barely visible path, so I could easily get lost there.

I knew it off by heart, because the treehouse was this way too.

When I arrived to the other end of the path, the sound of the suburban cars and people walking by hit me all at once.

I didn't realize how peaceful the forest was before.

I ran down the streets as fast as I could towards Nikki's garden.

Nikki was the sweetest person I've ever met, almost.

She could be scary when she was angry, but she was never violent, so that was amazing.

I remember a time when I broke a plant pot of her playing with her cat. She got mad, and I flinched when she shouted.

She immediately calmed down, and said it was ok.

Even if she didn't ask me, I spent the next few weeks hiding my bus money and school food money so I could buy her a new one, even if it ment more beatings.

She hugged me when I gave her the plant pot. It was really warm and safe.

She was Michael's teacher, so to say. She would take care of all the children and would be the one to make sure everyone got picked up.

On parents meetings, I would be there instead. Some of the parents thought Michael was really my child because they didn't see my parents ever.

I never bothered to clarify the mistake.

When I arrived, sweaty and tired of running, Michael came running to me and hugged my legs.

He was such a nice kid.

Part of me hatting myself was because I couldn't protect him the moment he needed me the most.

The day I runned away and slept in the treehouse, I didn't even think about him.

I was selfish. Only wanting safety for myself.

On the night, I was woken up by screams.

Michael.

The treehouse wasn't that far away. It seemed that they didn't even bother to take him to the soundproof basement as they would with me.

I ran as fast as I could that day.

I came in and saw Michael all bloody.

I took him and took care of him. We hid in my room for several days.

Michael now wears bandages all around his left eye. He is partly blind.

My parents blamed me for it. And I did too.

When Nikki came out of the door with a badge of cookies, I smiled at her.

She deserved the smiles.

I gave one cookie to Michael and took one for myself, before lifting up the four year old and running towards the forest.

I just hoped I wasn't late.