the royal merchant .

22] THE ROYAL MERCHANT

    SUNSET CAME SLOW, the last few hours of sunlight filled with surfing and booze

SUNSET CAME SLOW, the last few hours of sunlight filled with surfing and booze. Despite the countless times their lives have been on the line, Synley couldn't have asked for a better summer so far.

There wasn't one day where she hadn't been with her favorite people. And though they weren't exactly blood, the Pogues didn't come to anything short of family.

This thought crossed Synley's mind as she threw her sun-dried hair into a high bun. She smiled cheekily at herself in the dirty bathroom mirror. Synley figured her life would never amount to much—courtesy of growing up on The Cut—but as long as life looked like this. Spending everyday with the people she loved..salt water in her hair, and sunburn on her cheeks, she figured it'd be greedy to ask for anything better.

The smile never left her lips as she made her way out of the chateau. The sound of crickets and warm air greeted the girl as the screen door shut behind her.

Her smile turned into a playful pout, though, when her feet lead her to her friends.

"I sat on the log last time." she crossed her arms, trying her best to hide the smile that dared to peak out. JJ and Kie were opposing each other on the hammocks, and Pope and John B took up the only two lawn chairs. The four looked over at her, and JJ opened his mouth to speak, but Pope beat him to it.

"Sorry, Syn." Pope leaned forward to get out of his chair, and the blond laughed, placing her hand on his shoulder.

"Pope, sit down I'm giving you guys a hard time." Synley rolled her eyes, and hesitantly the boy sat down. She made home on the big log that sat in between Pope and John B's chair, pulling her knees to her chest as she got comfortable.

An inviting silence fell over the group, all five tired from the long day behind them. Synley placed her cheekbone onto her knees, her eyes closing to the music of nature around her.

"You really think it's out there? Like no bullshit?" Pope interrupted the quiet minutes after she got comfortable. She traced tiny doodles onto her skin as she listened.

"My father thought it was." John B answered in the best way he could.

Synley peered through her lashes at John B's silhouette. They really needed to invest in string lights. With the amount of time they spent out here, it wasn't a dumb idea to have some light for when the sun went down.

"But do you?" Pope pushed.

"After hearing his voice on that tape...I think I do." John B concluded. "Only one way to find out." Pope held his hand out, and the two boys performed their handshake.

"We're gonna find it, you know." Kiara hummed from her spot on the hammock. Synley shifted her head to look up at Kie as she spoke. "Even JJ believes."