Chapter 17

Students and staff clapped as the tournament contestants and their dates took to the floor for the first dance. Claire and Adrian watched as the contestants swirled and twirled their dates around. Fred started out watching the first dance but his eyes slowly wandered off the crowd and narrowed onto Claire. Her face was lit up and there was a glint in her eyes as she watched in awe.

Once the opening dance ended, the rest of the students took to the floor, joining the contestants. Adrian moved Claire across the stone floor, with her heels clacking at each step as she allowed him to command her through the movements. He held her hand, raising her arm in the air, spinning her around as he ran his hand down her bare arm, bringing it to a rest behind his neck. Adrian rested his hand on the small of her back, pulling her into him moving her with him, a heat radiating between the two of them.

Fred gripped Angelina's hand as he guided her across the floor, and spun around other students. She followed him left and right, then back again as he spun her around the dance floor, twirling her in and out of his embrace. Fred stole glances at Claire from over Angelina's shoulder as they moved across the floor, watching how effortlessly she moved.  His heartbeat began to grow more rapid, both out of jealousy and anger and as hard as he tried to stay away from them he felt himself being pulled back towards her.

The energy and atmosphere of the Great Hall changed from romantic to lively as The Weird Sisters took the stage.

"Alright Hogwarts! Are you ready for some real music?!"

Claire cupped her hands around her mouth as she screamed and cheered along with the rest of the students in the crowd. Adrian's hands rested on Claire's hips, holding her close to him as the guitar riffs bounced off the walls around them. She jumped up and down, in sync with the beat as she belted the lyrics, her hair flying every which way as she moved.

Slick sweat glided down her skin as she moved out of the crowd, towards the back of the room to catch her breath. Adrian followed her, wrapping an arm around her waist as she settled.

"You know, you don't have to hold onto me all night." There was a small hint of annoyance in her voice.

"Well, I wanted to make it clear who you chose." She followed his gaze; Fred was staring at them. Adrian was showing her off, like she was a trophy he had stolen. He kissed the side of her head, his eyes locked with Fred's, a sly smile curled across his lips as he pulled back from her.

Fred's eyes turned to slits as he stared, a hot burning rage inside him as Adrian toyed with him.

Claire stepped over to the side, out of Adrians grasp and arms reach. "This isn't a contest Adrian."

He moved closer to her, wrapping his arm tightly around her waist again. "Either way, it's clear to him now."

Claire took another step over, removing his arm from her as she scoffed. "Adrian, do you even hear yourself? You sound so egotistical right now you're rivaling Malfoy, and that's a talent."

It was difficult for Fred to engage in the conversation with Angelina as he watched carefully out of the corner of his eye, counting how many times Claire stepped away from Adrian, and studying her body language. There was something uncomfortable in her actions, something not right.

"Do you hear yourself?" Adrian stepped further into her, leaning down. "See how he is smiling at her now? He's not paying you any attention, but I am. I have been paying attention to you for months, yet you keep brushing it off for someone who's clearly uninterested."

Adrian's voice turned sinister. "See where his eyes are? His eyes are glued to her, not you. So it's obvious who he has chosen as well. Which means you're mine."