Chapter 22

The school year was going in full swing, quidditch tryouts came and went. Ron and Ginny both made the Gryffindor team. Lee Jordan said Slytherin only gained muscle and not necessarily talent, and Claire would agree. Crabbe and Goyle took the beater position, while Adrian Pucey replaced Flint as a chaser and practices soon began.

Claire pulled the handle of her broom up, stopping. "Pucey! If you would pass me the damn quaffle sometime it would be nice." A  mix of annoyance and sarcasm in her voice.

"Why would I pass it to you?" He scowled at her.

"Maybe because I didn't take a three year break from playing!" Claire had a feeling their practices might end up like this. Adrian had never forgiven her for not only ditching him at the Yule Ball, but also choosing Fred over him.

When Claire did get a chance to get her hands on the quaffle she made sure to show them all why she was the first girl to ever make the team. Soaring through the air at a lightening speed and launching the quaffle past Miles, the keeper with ease.

The team touched down to the ground, Montague standing in the middle of the circle. "Look, if we want to win the cup this year we have to work together." He glared at Adrian. "Whatever grudges you have, get over it and let's get our hands on that cup."

The team dismissed back to the locker rooms, Fred leaned against the wall outside waiting for Claire to exit. "How was practice?" He wrapped an arm around her waist, kissing her forehead as she emerged.

"Would have been great if I didn't have to deal with that." She rolled her eyes, pointing towards Adrian who was just coming out of the locker room.

Fred scowled. "You didn't tell me Pukey was back on the team."

"I'm sorry, I forgot to tell you. It's not something I'm happy about." The couple walked back to the castle together. Fred was a little worried about what might happen with Adrian back on the team, however he knew how the Slytherins were. They would sabotage members of all the other teams, but could Adrian be so angry still that he could possibly sabotage a member of his own team.

The only thing about this year that proved to be certain was Umbridge's promise of reform. Claire sat next to Fred during Defense Against The Dark Arts that morning. "Turn to page 35 in your books." Professor Umbridge instructed.

"Pardon me Professor, but will we actually be using any magic or simply read theories on practicing it?" Claire blurted out.

"Raise your hand when you would like to speak."

"Fine." Claire raised her hand in the air, not bothering to wait for her name to be called. "Pardon me Professor," She dressed the words with a fake smile. "Will you actually be teaching us anything, you know, real magic or will we be reading useless theories while you set us all up to be killed?"

Gasps echoed around the classroom as heads turned, all eyes on Claire. "I beg your pardon." Umbridge scoffed. "And just what do you think it out there that would kill you?"

"I don't know, maybe someone who would love nothing more than to rid the world of a certain group of witches and wizards." Sarcasm drenched all of Claire's words. "Voldemort, perhaps? The same person who murdered a student in cold blood-"

"That was nothing more than a tragic accident. Voldemort has not-"

"You're a tragic accident! And delusional!" Claire slammed her fist against the wooden desk.

"Detention Miss Fienley!"

"You can't give her detention for speaking her mind Professor." Fred spoke up.